Chapter 34

Dylan's P.O.V.

I'm confused as I make my way towards Katniss's house. I'm joined by Jorel and Jordon to babysit Charlie and Josie while she sorts whatever it is out.

'Hey.' She says as soon she sees us, 'the twins are in their playpen. There shouldn't be any trouble. They'll need feeding again in a few hours. You know where everything is, right?'

'Yeah, we do. But talk to us, Kat. What's going on?' Jordon asks her in a serious tone.

'It's fine. I-I'm just going out to look for Ruby, that's all.' She says in reply.

'Ok. We'll see you later, ok?' I say as she walks past me, 'you can trust us with your children.'

Katniss nods and gets into her car and drives off, leaving us in the driveway. We head inside and hear the laughs of the twins. I go to them. They're sat playing with one another, completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

'Hey there, kiddos.' I say, 'Momma's had to go out for a little while but me, Jorel, and Jordon are here to keep you company!'

They clap their hands and motion for us to pick them up. Even though they are happy, I feel like something is off about all of this..

~

Katniss's P.O.V.

I sit in the parking lot to the Hotel De' La Panem, anxious and scared out of my mind. I have no idea what I am even doing. Snow had his members tell me to come here. They need me to keep a target occupied until they finish setting up their positions. A Mr. Plutarch Heavensbee. He's known in the Mafia for deceiving Snow. He's been invited to stay here and have someone "talk" to him. I will be there to keep company until someone more advanced in the Mafia can eliminate him. I've never done anything like this. I'm not in the Mafia.... But I can't let him win. I saw Ruby. She was alive and well. I made a promise to her that she would come back before she was taken from me again. It tore me apart to hear her cry for me. I couldn't get her back. I have to. I will not let him take her away from me. I will bring her home, even if my life is taken in the process. I will not fail anyone else in this life. Especially not Ruby.. I can't.

I push the thought of failure out of my head. I leave my car and head into the Hotel. I check in and am taken to the Penthouse. The attendant leaves me be. There are things laid out for me on the bed. A dress that is red and barely covers anything, black stiletto heels, a phone that only has Snow as a contact and the other mafia members, a purse that is filled with one hundred thousand dollars inside, a wire and ear piece, and a vile of poison along with a letter. I opened the letter.

Target will arrive at 6 o' clock this evening. Be in the bar by 5:30. Turn on the phone and the wire. Leegs will be positioned, by 8. Bring Target to Penthouse at 7. Do not worry, Miss Everdeen. You are in good hands. If Target is successfully acquired, Miss Ruby will be returned to you. Do not fail the mission... I have eyes.

C. Snow

I sigh and put the letter in my bag. I look around the room. I haven't been out into the Capitol much since I moved here a few months ago. A few restaurants and stores. One time to the mall. And that's it. No clubs, no hotels, no fun places. Been too busy as a Mother and dealing with pain... This is probably the nicest place I've ever been to. 12 doesn't have the nicest of places. And I never really went to a lot of places there. I take the dress and accessories to the bathroom. The shower is huge and is very interesting. There are a million different scents and streams of water to choose from, and a million different soaps and shampoos. I pick a lavender and honey scent. I try to keep my nerves down with the warm water. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing and if I can. All i know is I have to keep him occupied... God knows how. I can't even imagine what could happen if I do anything wrong.. Or he does something wrong, or the Leegs don't come, or if I get hurt or fail and then Ruby gets hurt.... I know I can't fail.. I can't.. Ruby... Ruby... I can't lose her. I realize that the whole bathroom is full of steam and I am sweating, rather than getting clean. I shampoo my hair, and wash myself again, then get out. I turn on the fan and blow dry my hair. I braid it up onto my head and the way my Mother used to. I put on the dress and the black tights and wear the black stilettos. I put on the gold jewelry and took off my wedding ring. I do simple black makeup, and finish with dark red lipstick. I give myself a once over and leave the bathroom. There is a giant clock on the wall and it reads a quarter to five. I sigh and wait on the bed for a while. I got a text from Dylan.