Chapter 24

Katniss's P.O.V.

~Ruby's First Birthday in 1 Week; Moved to the Capitol 5 Days Ago~

We moved to the Capitol five days ago. It meant we had to muster up the courage to up and leave 12 after everything that's happened. Our friends have moved with us and are loving the city. HU especially, they love going on drives around, taking in the city around them and going into the bars.

Ruby turns one next week. I can hardly believe it, neither does Peeta; we've been parents for almost a year. It's gone so fast. We have it all planned out, too, so it's going to be amazing even if she won't remember it once she's old enough.

Scarlett and Roman are playing with Ruby in the front room as I talk to Danny about our new lives in the Capitol.

'I honestly still don't know my way around this place,' he admits, 'it's Jordan and Dylan who take us to the bars and restaurants.'

The door is unlocked as Peeta walks in, speaking on the phone to someone on the phone as he turns to lock the door.

'So are you coming or not?' He asks the person, 'I need to know before her birthday, mom! She's only one once!'

What sounds like yelling comes from down the line before Peeta hangs up the phone and sighs.

'My parents aren't coming.' He tells me.

'Why not?' I ask him.

'They have better things to do.' Is all I get in reply.

Peeta nods a greeting to Danny and dumps his bag in the hallway before making his way upstairs, probably to do homework, when the phone rings.

'Hello?' I answer.

'Is this the residence of a Mr Mellark?' The man on the other end asks me.

'This is his wife, yes. Why?' I ask, suddenly worried.

'His family's bakery was set on fire and I'm afraid that there weren't any survivors.'

I raise a shaky hand to my mouth and cover it in shock. Tears threaten to spill over as I choke them back.

'I-I'll tell him... thank you.' I say.

I put the phone down and put on my best smile and turn back to face Danny. I want to cry, but I don't want to tell Peeta, or anyone for that matter.

'Who was that?' He asks.

"No one. Nothing important." I say and clear my throat, trying to swallow my tears.

He gives me a skeptical look, but just leaves it alone. I feel my heart start to flutter when Peeta comes back downstairs. I avoid his eyes and focus back on Ruby. I know I am a terrible liar and secret keeper. At least with most things. Some things I have kept for a while. But this... I have no clue if I can. I feel sick just thinking of this whole thing. It wasn't even a half an hour ago that he was just talking to his family. Alive and well. Now they're gone... forever. This secret gets to my nerves. I stand up abruptly, and race up the stairs. I catch looks of confusion from everyone. I barely make it to the restroom before my nerves get the best of me, making me throw up.