Chapter 19

Katniss's P.O.V.

I wake up to lights blinding me and forcing me to shut my eyes tight as I hear voices yelling in the lobby.

'This manwhore slept with my wife!' I hear Danny yell, 'And cheated on his 'wife' when she was pregnant with a child. But he was selfish enough to get him some action with my wife!'

The lobby falls silent after he says what he said. They all know he's right, even Peeta does, they just don't want to agree with him.

'You're right,' Peeta finally says, 'I stepped out of line. You all know I didn't mean to do anything to hurt anyone.'

'You hurt Katniss, hurt my woman and my kids, and still don't show up when she needs you most?' Danny sounds like he's about to laugh at the stupid sounding words that came out of Peeta's mouth, 'that's just a load of fucking bullshit!'

A noise that sounds like a slap comes down the hallway as a pair of shoes squeak on the linoleum floor towards my room. A door open and Johnny comes in, a pained expression on his face as insults and shouts can be heard going on outside

'Hey,' he says quietly, 'how ya feelin'?'

I shrug, 'better than I was, I guess. I suppose I don't have a husband anymore...'

He takes a seat next to me and sighs. The look on his face is telling, he wants all of this to end, for Danny and Peeta to be friends again. But everyone knows it's not going to happen again.

Jorel's P.O.V

We're struggling to keep Danny away from Peeta. With each passing second they hate each other more and more. Danny keeps hurling abuse at him while we stand there, unable to do anything.

'Why don't you, wild idea, I know, but, why don't you fuck your own wife and not somebody else's?' Danny yells, 'you have your own woman! Why screw mine?'

'¡Cálmese, mi amigo!' Funny yells, 'hay otras personas en este hospital.'

(Translation for those who don't know, "Calm down, my friend! There are other people in this hospital.")

'SHUT IT DYLAN!' Danny yells, 'NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE OTHER PEOPLE HERE! THIS SKANK SLEPT WITH MY FUCKING WIFE!'

He turns back to face Peeta who is watching Danny yell at Dylan, obviously relieved someone else was being yelled at this time. But Danny isn't done, he's far from it, in fact. He's about to get into the yelling lecture, when someone else cuts in.

"Enough, alright!? I can't listen to anymore of this!! So stop it!! All of you!!"

Katniss stands holding onto her mobile I.V. and support from Johnny. She has anger and heartache written all over her face. I don't blame her one bit. But I can tell that something more than Danny's yelling is going to happen now.

Peeta's P.O.V.

Danny's yelling is cut short by Katniss's. She stands in front of us and looks at us intently with anger and sadness. She lets go of Johnny and walks over to me. Her beautiful grey eyes stare furiously into mine. I prepare myself for what will now come from her. But what actually happens is a shock. She kisses me. It isn't long, but a kiss I haven't had from her in a while. I tried to speak but she raised her hand and covered my mouth.

"Don't.... not yet." She says, "Not yet...Not yet. You guys don't have to forgive him. I don't care if you do or not. What he's done is betraying us all. Betraying me. I will never forgive you, Peeta. I'm sorry. Even if it was nothing.... But for you six... for me... please. I don't want to lose anyone else if I don't have to. Friends, family, children... no more. Please... no more. Just let it be."