Chapter 15: Niall

We were done eating, and we were getting ready to leave, when all of a sudden, a large group of people came rushing in. It was almost as big as one of those protesting groups you see in the news. There were about 200 men, 150 women, 95 teens and tweens, and about 50 children below 12. It was a big crowd. And they were mixed races, which is really rare here in Long Beach.

They came crowding around the tables at the food court, and we decided to get out. The bad thing was that I lost America and Lucy.

I could see Minerva right ahead of me. She was easily dodging the people that were running around. But, how did she do it? She never was able to walk through huge crowds. She hated shopping at the mall because of that. Was it some sort of power that she decided to hide?

Let's not dwell on that subject. She probably had enough practice to easily move around. Or her adrenaline was too high, that she depended on her instincts and without thinking, she dodged the people..

Moving on.

I just followed her, not caring about what was around me.

Okay, take that back. I did care.

I could hear gun shots and yelling. I just hoped my girls were okay, and that they didn't get hurt. But if Lucy and America were together, I'm sure they were okay. After all, America is a police officer, and works for ICE and the military. She is also training to be a soldier, so they would be okay.

When we were almost to the exit, I decided to tap Minerva on the shoulder, and tell her to wait for Lucy and America. I tapped her on the shoulder, and at first, she didn't turn around, so I tapped her again, and...she still didn't turn around. We left the mall, and I caught up to her and walked right next to her and said, "Hey, don't you think we should probably wait for America and Lucy?"

I turned towards her and saw that it wasn't Minerva.

No, it wasn't.

It wasn't Minerva.

It wasn't her.

It wasn't my sister.

It was

It was

Lucy.

My breath was cut off, my heart stopped, and I realized three things.

One: I lost my first love.

Two: I lost my sister.

Three: I was amazed at how beautiful Lucy was. How easily she could make people forget about their problems. She was just so beautiful. So beautiful, that she could've won any beauty contest without putting any ounce of makeup on her face. So beautiful, that she made everyone hold their breath, even me. So beautiful, that I think you get the idea.

Don't judge me you guys, but, I was too happy to see Lucy, that I just couldn't. I hugged her. Too much beauty.

I hugged her really tight, that her face must've been purple by now. I could feel her hand on my back, her warm breath on my neck, and her heart beating. At that moment, nothing else mattered. Only the fact that I was hugging Lucy.

Nothing else mattered, that I forgot about Minerva and America.

Now I feel guilty.

Another thing that I forgot was that little detail that we were in the middle of the street.

Too late did I realize.

I saw a car coming full speed at us, smoke coming out the back, the engine making that 'rummmm, rummmm' sound.

Good thing my brain was fast at reacting.

My instincts kicked in, moving Lucy and I out of the way, without me doing any thinking. We jumped out of that car's path.

Bad thing, Lucy twisted her ankle, causing it to break, causing her to pass out for a bit.

How did I know?

Well, here's how things happened:

We jumped out of the cars path, but, Lucy didn't know about the car thing. That means that when I tried to move her, her feet stayed the same. I turned her body, but her feet stayed in the same position, facing the same way.

When we were laying on the street, I heard Lucy sobbing. I got up and saw that her ankle was facing the wrong way.

You guys don't want to know what way it was facing, or else you'll cringe so hard, those wrinkles will stay on your face for at least 50 years. 100 at most, so don't even ask.

She kept sobbing. It must've been her first broken bone, because she cried like she had never felt that pain before.

I held her in my arms, having her sob into my neck.

Oh, no, don't think that way of me. I did try to help her. At one point, I had offered to carry her, so I put my arms under her legs and back. But, when I tried to lift her up, she cried in pain, so I decided to leave her where she was.

And yes, I did call the ambulance.

So now, I tried to comfort her, telling her everything was going to be okay.

I figured she must've, either never experienced a broken bone, or she must've hurt something else, because she was crying a little too much.

Finally, I heard the sirens.

I saw the lights flashing. I turned back to Lucy, but she had her eyes closed. Tears were still running down her face, but when I shook her, she didn't open her eyes.

The people things jumped out of the ambulance and quickly carried her up. Lucy didn't make a sound, so I figured she must've been unconscious.

They put her on that rolly bed that only fits one person, and they put her into the inside.

I jumped in and sat on one side of the ambulance. I held Lucy's hand all the way through.

The doctors kept checking her leg, careful not to move it, and they put a whole bunch of needles in her arm.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

That is it for today. I know it's short, it's 11:52 pm, and I wanted to get something in before the holidays, because I won't be able to update tomorrow. So, just in case some of you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, you have something to read. Let me know if you would like me to update during the holidays, and I will try my best to do that.

And yes, that is it. Hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving break. Eat lots of tamales and buñelos for me please. Enjoy your wonderful day tomorrow, and tell me what you are thankful for, even if you don't celebrate anything.