CHAPTER 7

Hannah Towers' POV

“You seem to be on a roll these days, Towers.” Bret sardonically voices out as he looks at me suspiciously while counting the money I handed him. “Where are you getting your money, huh?”

“I have my own work, Bret.” I reply trying to sound confident. Little did they know what cost me all these money I am paying them.

“Right. But you still have a long way to go, Hannah.”

“I know.”

When they left, I close the door and return to my living room to where my students are gathered doing an activity I prepared for them.

Bret and his men came while I was in the middle of my tutorials so I had to distract the teens and not to let them witness how I deal with the loan sharks.

Bret's right. I still have a long way to go with the debt I am paying. Thankfully, Justin is keeping his end of the bargain and true to his words, he paid me for the lunch we had together the other day. But still, it’s not enough to pay off the two million dollars and I still haven’t heard from the bank if my application for a loan is approved.

“Miss Towers,” Ava, one of my students calls my attention. “I need a little help here.”

“Sure.”

I approach her and tended to her homework. The rest of my day went by uneventful and thank goodness, I have no calls or text from Justin.
Instead when I checked my phone, I have a long message from Claire a close friend of mine who lives just a block away from me.

Claire: Hi Hannah! Guess what? I’ve got a job offer for you. Though it’s just temporary, but I know how you needed the money as you’ve mentioned last month. One of our editors is going off on a long vacation, two weeks actually, but we are really short of manpower so our manager agreed to let you fill in the position for the meantime. Beep me back if you accept and I’d be happy to confirm to the manager.

I shriek after reading her message. Thank God! I jump on my bed and screamed on my pillow. I love you Claire!

Claire was my colleague and is currently working in a publishing company. We became close during college when we became members of the same club that involves social debates and feature writing.

I hurriedly compose my reply to her: Oh my gosh, Claire. Thank you so much! This means so much to me. Yes, I really need an extra income right now so I would be so much willing to fill in one of your editors.

The next day, Claire fetched me in her car and we went to her workplace together. Along the way, she explains how it is possible to have me right on the spot if ourmanager agrees to hire me temporarily. When we arrived, she led me directly to their manager and I was surprised to see a young man who is likely to be in her late twenties. He’s wearing a grey suit and  a tie that matches his brown eyes.

“Mr. Shaw, this is Hannah Towers, the one I was telling you last time. She’s got an amazing skill in editing. She's won many awards way back in college so she's the perfect woman for the job.”

I smile shyly at Claire’s introduction. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Shaw.” We shake hands as he smiles welcomingly at me.

“Nice to meet you too, Miss Towers. I’m Timothy Shaw. Glad to have you in the team.”

“I-I’m already in?” I can’t believe my ears.

Mr. Shaw chuckles and nods. “Yes, Miss Towers. I know this is such an impromptu call for you but we really are at a tight spot right now so we need an editor and we’ll just do this informally to speed up the process. And I’d like it if you can start today since we have a lot of articles for editing.”