CHAPTER 16

Hannah Towers' POV

Damn! I feel the atmosphere getting hot all of a sudden. It’ so unfair that Justin seems so normal sitting beside me while caressing my thigh and then there’s me who is obviously looking agitated at what he’s doing to me.

For goodness’ sake, he was only touching my thigh! But in a public place like this, I don’t know how he manages it. Even amidst the thin dress, I still feel how warm and big his hand is on my thigh. Obviously, he’s having fun taunting me as he caresses continuously while drawing circles with his thumb. Even if the long white table cover is covering us, it still feels weird and unnerving.

“Miss Towers?” a familiar voice suddenly calls me out, seizing me from that scandalous moment. I look up to see Greg Copper with his camera dangling on his neck as he waves at me. I recognise him as the guy I met at the elevator this afternoon.

“Mr. Copper, hi!” I nervously say while trying to get Justin’s hand off my thigh but he would not budge. Instead he pins me down that I could not even stand up to greet Mr. Cooper.

“Oh, you have company.” Mr. Copper looks at Justin sitting beside me.

“Mr. Royce.” Justin offers his hand in a handshake but his left hand is still resting firmly on my thigh.

Mr. Cooper accepts his handshake gladly and naively. “It’s Greg Cooper. I met Miss Towers a while ago. I didn’t know you would be coming here too.”

I glance at Justin and his eyes are shooting daggers at Mr. Cooper. I mentally curse. What the hell is wrong with Justin? He’s looking like he’s becoming the scary Justin again.

I laugh nervously trying to enlighten the mood. “Uhm, yeah, we just finished having dinner. How about you? Are you here with someone?”

I jerk forward a little when I felt Justin’s hand suddenly accelerating upwards that his hand is already resting a few inches from my inguinal area.

Mr. Copper is so oblivious of what is happening under our table and he gladly answers me, “Uh, no, I came here alone. Lucky for you two, you got the best view here.” He lightly taps on his camera. “Hey, what if we hang out together? It would be amazing!” he eagerly looks at us.

I mentally slap myself. Gosh, is he dumb? Can’t he see we are on a date here? I mean, I don’t consider it a date but technically, he should not offer something like that. Why is he too friendly to hang out with people he barely even know?

“No.” the stern voice of Justin arises at Mr. Copper's request and he finally withdraws his hand from me but instead he grabs my wrist and we stand up.

“We have important things to do, so we’ll get going.” Justin seriously says in a firm voice as he stares at Mr. Copper.

“Oh, that’s too bad. Anyways, I hope to see you around!”

“Goodbye, Mr. Cooper. Have fun!” I wave back at Mr. Cooper as Justin drags me away.

Mr. Cooper really is too friendly and so naïve. Thank goodness, we won’t be seeing him anymore.

After settling the bill and everything, we arrive outside and he instructs Mark through phone to bring the car at the entrance.

“Who was that British asshole?” Justin glares at me as soon as he finishes his phone call.

“Uh,−”

“How the hell did you know each other?”

“Uhm, I met him at the lobby's elevator a while ago.”
I stay silent after my explanation to gauge his reaction but he stands still and after a few seconds, realization must have hit him because the calm Justin comes back. The angry specks in his eyes are gone.

Right on time, Mark appears telling us that the car is ready. We get in and silence fills the atmosphere.

“Uh, Justin,” I fiddle with my fingers anxiously. “Are you feeling well now?”

He tilts his head as he regards me with creased eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

“Uh, a while ago, back at the hotel, you…while we were…uhm” Damn! I shouldn’t have started this conversation but curiosity is nagging me right now. I want to ask him what caused his sour mood during our sexual intercourse back at the hotel.

I look up at him and he looks back at me expectantly, knowing what I mean with what we were doing a while ago.

“You were not yourself and…you seemed to be in a bad mood.” I look down and stare at my entangled fingers.

“Oh, so you noticed?” He doesn’t seem mad at least.

I nod in response. “Your moods are so obvious, Justin. Sometimes, you’re in a friendly and jovial state and sometimes, you …have that scary aura with you.” I would like to think you’re bipolar. I want to add but I hold back.

He turns that his whole body is facing me. The lights from the busy streets pass through the tinted car windows and illuminate his smoldering eyes.

He clasp my hands in his and rubs his thumb over the back of my hand. “Are you scared of me, Hannah?” he asks in a tense voice.

“Uh, to be honest, sometimes you do scare me.” I say in a small voice. I still can hear his monotone voices in my head together with his frightening auras whenever he seems mad.

“No, please, Hannah. Don’t be.”

I look up at him in shock to hear a pleading hint in his voice.

“I’m sorry if I scared you a while ago. It was just that…” he sighs heavily and clasps my hands tighter. “Things weren’t going well as I planned during my business meeting and I didn’t realize I somehow vented my annoyance at you.”

I can’t believe he is actually explaining to me how he felt. Now I gradually understand his mood swings.

“You seem quite okay during the dinner.” I state warily.

“Well, I got a call before our dinner and everything fell right in their places as I have planned.” He smiles before murmuring, “Except for that British asshole.”

“What?” I innocently ask pretending I haven’t heard him but deep inside me, something sparks as I wonder if he’s jealous. The thought vanishes as fast as it came. Justin Royce is not the type to get jealous and we are not in that particular kind of relationship wherein our feelings are involved.

“Nothing, Hannah.” He looks away and turns his attention to Mark who is busily driving us through the busy streets of New York. Justin kept one of his hands still grasping mine as he gives out some orders regarding our flight tonight.

I peer out the window as flashing headlights of cars dance in naturally through the dark in perfect combination with the skyscrapers and streets of New York.

The calming view of the busy city and the warmth from Justin's hand is making me nostalgic. I sigh deeply, goodbye New York. I guess this will be my second and last time to visit.

---