CHAPTER 17

HannahTowers' POV

“For Hannah!” They gleefully shout and clink their glasses with mine before we drink in unison.

The others get back to the food while some resumes their chitchat after saying their thanks and goodbyes to me. I smile contentedly as I look around me.

“Thank you, Hannah. It was really great working with you even though it was such a short period of time.” Mr. Shaw sincerely expresses his gratitude as he sits beside me.

“It was an honor to have worked with you, Mr. Shaw. Thank you for doing this for me.” I reply back.

Since this is the last day I would be working filling in one if their editors’ position, they all insisted we have a simple goodbye party for me right after office hours. We finished our work early just to give time to this simple tribute for me.

I refused at first when they told me but they were already so enthusiastic and excited about it. They took care of all the food deliveries and the drinks. They even rearranged the tables that we have a wide space to enjoy our little celebration.

I feel so grateful to them for treating me nicely and for working with me professionally. Time really flew by so fast. I still remember my first day here when Claire brought me and introduced me to Mr. Shaw. Now, I’m bidding them goodbye and personally thanked Mr. Shaw for his generosity in giving me my paycheck together with a large amount of bonus.

After the simple dinner and party, most of us are already a bit tipsy. Some have already left while the others are still at the office enjoying to their hearts’ content. Claire and I are already at the lobby walking outside.

“Is your boyfriend coming, Hannah?” Claire yawns as she hugs herself  when we arrive outside and the cold night breeze greets us.

I stagger a bit before standing properly. Damn, I could already feel I’m a little drunk. “Claire, how many times do I have to tell you, Justin’s not my boyfriend.”

Ever since, we came home from New York, Justin insisted on driving me home every day after work. With this routine, my officemates are curiously asking me what our relationship is. They would pester me whenever I say that Justin and I are only friends.

In truth, our relationship is still bounded by the deal nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes, instead of driving me home to my apartment, he would take me to his penthouse. Some nights, I spend it having dinner with him and the occasional desserts he gets from me whenever and wherever he prefers. At times, we would have occasional chatters like normal people instead of pure sex and that at least kept me sane whenever I am with him.

“And I don’t know if he’s coming tonight. He didn’t call me today and his car is nowhere in sight.” I look around for any sign of his black Audi but I could not find any.

“Well then, you can hitch a ride with me. Look, my boyfriend’s already here. We can drive you home.” Claire offers as she points to a black SUV parked across the street.

I was about to agree with her when my phone rings. It’s Justin.

“Hannah, I’m on my way.”

“Oh, okay. I’m outside. I’ll just wait for y−”

“Hannah, get inside. It’s cold.”

I open my mouth to justify that I have my coat on so there’s no need but he cuts me off. “Inside.NOW.”

I don’t know how he did it but his voice sounds calm but so full of authority that I find myself wanting to obey. 

“Yes, Sir.” I roll my eyes before ending the call. I turn to Claire who is patiently waiting.