CHAPTER 40

Hannah Towers’ POV

I groan and slowly open my eyes. I feel like I’m in an unfamiliar bed and true enough, I jerk up when I realize I’m sleeping on a bed. I glance at the sofa I slept on last night. How did I get here and where the hell is the patient who is supposed to be resting here?

Just then, the bathroom door opens and Justin comes out wearing a simple grey shirt and jeans. He looks freshly showered and his one hand is still wrapped in a clean bandage but his IV drip is nowhere on him.

“Hi!” he smiles at me before taking long strides towards me. He stops and bends down to kiss me on the forehead.

“Wait, why are already up? Are you feeling fine now?” I promptly ask him as he takes a seat beside me until we are almost at each other’s eye level.

“Hannah, I’m fine. The doctor came by a while ago and he gave me permission to go home after I convinced him t‒”

“Wait, what? The doctor came by? How come I didn’t wake up?” Damn. I feel embarassed thinking what the doctor would have thought when he saw me sleeping soundly on the patient’s bed this morning.

I look at Justin and he looks amused. I clear my throat and shift my gaze somewhere else. “So you carried me to this bed?”

“I can’t let you sleep uncomfortably on that tiny sofa. You slept peacefully last night beside me.” He answers and I can hear his smile.

I take a deep breath then look up to meet his gaze. “Justin, I think it’s time then.”

His smile vanishes and a serious look suddenly dawns on his face. Unknown emotions are swirling in his blue eyes and they scare me out.

I continue speaking ignoring the sudden acceleration of my heartbeat. “I see you’re better now and as I have said yesterday, we would talk once you get better.” I have to sort out my problem with the bus company so I cannot afford to have more problems on my plate at this time. I guess it’s time to face one now.

Justin hands suddenly jerks up and holds my face, his warm palms getting in contact wih my cheeks. His blue eyes are shining with a sincere glow.

“Hannah, I really wanted to say sorry. I-I was so. . . angry that time and I have no better excuses for offering you more money when that’s not what I intended.”

I raise my hand and touch his hand on my cheek to assure him that I’m listening. “I know.” I whisper. Finally, we are having this conversation and I am now ready to let go and move on with my life after this proper closure.

“I just want you to stay, Hannah. That was all I meant. I don’t want you to leave me and move to Hillside County. . .”

Move? I wasn’t planning on moving there. I just wanted to stay there temporarily. But wait. . . I frown at him. “How did you know I was going to Hillside County?”

Justin’s hands drop and he looks down.

Shit! Tears are starting to form and blur my eyes as I realize something. Damn it! Of course, only someone with money and authority would do something like that. Given his reaction right now, I don’t need a detective to figure this out.

“Justin,” I grit my teeth trying not to raise my voice to an octave even though I want to. “Justin, please tell me you don’t have something to do with it.”

He gets up from the bed and runs a hand through his hair. With his back towards me, he takes a deep breath and quietly says, “Yes, I did cancel your bus ticket . . . and banned you.”

What the. . . “Why the hell would you do that!”

I couldn’t control myself anymore that my voice raised at him. How could he?
“Justin, why would you mess that up? How could you!”