Chapter 22: A Threat To Homeland Security

The cafeteria was very, very busy at lunch time when he entered through the double doors. Mostly crowded with kids and a few teachers, and all of them talking loudly. He ignored the noise as best he could and made his way over to Sammy Jr as the boy called out and waved for him.

Jane, his crush, was at the table opposite them, her two friends sitting by her side as they ate. One looked at him grumpily and huffed as she shoved a spoonful of her food into her mouth, but the other smiled and waved at him, making him feel a bit better. He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and sighed, sitting down opposite Sammy Jr as he did so. Last night he had drawn Jane a picture, and very much wanted to give it to her.

Sammy Jr smiled, sensing this from his actions, "Go on then, give it to her"

Bendy looked up and gave him a shocked 'Are you kidding me!?' look

"But what if she doesn't like it?" he asked.

"Then she doesn't have taste" Sammy Jr replied, taking a bite of his goopy lunch. Bendy wrinkled his nose at the slop and Sammy Jr laughed "It may look gross, but it's actually pretty good for a school lunch in the Great Depression. Dad won't let me take the food at home to school in case it gets taken from me, some kids here would do that, apparently."

"Oh....I think it looks like boogers" Bendy said.

Sammy snorted, "It does!" he said, poking the mush with his spoon, "Now go talk to Jane! Like I said, if she doesn't like it she doesn't have a taste"

Bendy stood up "I ain't anyone's taste in romance, I'm a toon for goodness' sake" he said, going over to Jane's table as he clutched the drawing in his hands. "H-Hi Jane!" he said nervously, his right foot jittering softly. The mean friend scoffed at him, but Jane smiled kindly, "Hello, Bendy, what's that you have?" she asked, pointing to the paper.

Bendy held it out "I uh, d-drew you a picture" he stammered.

Jane took the drawing from him and opened it up, "Wow! This is amazing! You drew this!?" she asked, Bendy nodded shyly.

"Probably had his 'father' draw it, ain't he a cartoonist?" her grumpy friend sneered,

Jane nudged her with her elbow, "Don't be mean, Susan" she snapped.

Bendy fidgeted nervously, "Do you like it?" he asked, twisting his skirt in his fingers.

Jane nodded and beamed, "I love it! Thank you" she said, standing up and coming over to him. Bendy blushed as she kissed his cheek again before sitting back down in her seat.

Hearts appeared above his head and made her nicer friend giggle softly, a hand over her mouth to try and hide it. He waved his hands above his head to get rid of them, his face really red now, "Excuse m-me, I'll j-just go now" he said, quickly racing back to his seat.

She giggled "Oh, I think I like him" she whispered,

"But he's a toon!" Susan exclaimed angrily.

Jane glared at her, "And? Why are you being so rude about him?"

"He's weird, he's a freaking living cartoon! Someone made him out of weird ink and no one seems to care!" Susan grumped.

"And? He's our age, and he's super sweet, I don't care what he looks like!" Jane argued,

"He's also in three advanced classes and an amazing artist" Sally pointed out, holding up the drawing the ink demon had done, Jane nodded "Yes! exactly!" she cried, trying to make Susan see her point. Bendy didn't need looks going for him, he was already brilliantly gorgeous in so many other things.

Susan scoffed and turned back to her lunch, rather annoyed that Jane could fall in love with such a freak.

"Go ask him out then!" Sally giggled, nudging her from her seat.