Chapter 20: School

John was awake far too early on the day school was to start back up. It might have been a bit since he had had a decent sleep, but his mind was always on, always thinking, and mostly about Harry. He couldn't quieten his mind even if he wanted too, couldn't distract himself from the thoughts that raced through his brain.

He questioned everything, right down to his sexuality.

The eight-year-old got out of bed and trailed down the hall to Boris and Bendy's room as sleep continued to evade him. Bendy was asleep, half in and half out of his bed, while Boris was reading a book in his. Bendy had been on his new meds for about two weeks and seemed oddly more relaxed now that he felt confident his seizures wouldn't make another appearance.

John smiled and waved as he appeared at the door, and Boris waved back. He wasn't wearing his overalls, just a pair of pajama pants Henry had bought for him with the money Lewis had gifted them.

John sighed and shut the door behind him, the overalls on the back swinging back and forth on the hook. "What do you do when you can't sleep?" he asked, coming over and climbing onto the bed. Boris handed him a book, and John took it. "You read?" he questioned, tracing the book title with a finger. Boris nodded,

"Sherlock Holmes? These were Uncle Joey's, do you like them?"

Boris nodded again.

"Do you have a favorite quote?"

Boris flipped through the pages and pointed to a line with a gloved finger "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius." John read out loud, "Nice choice, mine would have to be: What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is what can you make people believe you have done."

Boris licked his face as if to say 'I like that one too!' and John smiled, wiping the drool from his cheek.

Bendy woke up as he fell out the bed and stood up quickly, blinking in the dim light of the slightly stuffy room as he fought to calm his pounding heart, falling out of bed always gave him a fright. "Morning" John said, giggling as Boris hugged him happily.

Bendy rubbed his eyes and grabbed the pet brush on his bedside table, ready to smooth down his stuck up fur. "Shhh, too early" he whispered, he was not a morning person these days.

John sighed and Bendy frowned at his brother's sad features, it was obvious something was troubling him "Something the matter, John?"

"I..uh...I like someone" he said nervously.

Bendy pointed to a picture of Alice he had drawn, he knew John had a crush on the angel toon. "No, not her." he replied.

"Then who?" Bendy asked, tugging on his gloves and shoes.

John shook his head, "It doesn't matter" he said, Bendy joining him on Boris' bed. "Fine, just tell us when you're ready, okay?" he replied, John smiled "Thanks for understanding" he said.

Boris pushed them both off the messy covers and got out of bed to get dressed. The two kids grumbling from the floor as Boris changed into his overalls.

~

John came into the dining room in his school uniform, Audrey still in her room getting on hers. Bendy looked up from his breakfast and cocked his head to the side "What's that for?" he asked, milk dribbling down his chin as he spooned cereal into his mouth.

"Audrey and I have school today" John replied, Bendy's eyes widened, and he looked at Henry as the man read his newspaper. "School!? Can I go too?" he asked, practically bouncing in his seat with excitement.