Chapter 3

Sigh

I very much despise Gaston. He's so arrogant and full of himself. He cares for nothing but himself and hunting. Nothing like reading or helping others. His hobbies seem to be talking too much and looking rather strange. Just because he has a muscular build, it doesn't mean he is instantly attractive. He's too brawn over brains but he wouldn't even know the definition of brawn.

Out of all the girls in my village, it just had to be me.

I arrive at my doorstep when I hear a loud crash of metal come from my left. I paused and look at my cellar door to see smoke.

Father.

I instantly run to the small doors at the bottom of my house, pulling as much as I could with the handles. I finally pulled them apart only to be met with hot, suffocating smoke. I coughed as I made my way down, trying to look for the source.

"Father? Are you alright?", I ask loudly, slowly making my way to the rather large brown object.

I hear murmurs and small sounds of metal clanging. "Y/N dear? Are you alright?", he asks, lifting up his weird-looking goggles.

I coughed again, "Y-yes, it's me but what happened?"

He grabs a dirty rag, waving it in the air, and opens the small window next to the doors and I do the same. The smoke cleared but there was only a little. I turn away from the small basement window and see a rather large and new invention. I gasp in surprise and walk towards Father.

I then ask, "Is this the invention you said you've been working on for a while now?"

I graze my left hand over the dark wood that held it together.

I hear Father reply, "Well, uh, yes it is... I'm afraid I'll never get this contraption to work!"

I smile softly and reply, "You know that's not true, Father. When you get this invention to work, you'll be known from all over the land as the world's famous inventor."

Father then asks, "Do you really mean it?"

I laugh and say, "You know I have always believed in you."

He then moves quickly and lays down on his back and goes under the broken invention.

I then hear a muffled voice, "(Y/N) my dear, could you hand me the gray thingy?"

I walk over to his toolbox, sorting through the strange objects.

I then find a gray tool, silently hoping it's the correct one. "Is it this one, Father?", I ask with uncertainty.

                       He grabs it from under the large object and replies, "Yes it is, thank you."

I nod and sit on a chair, opening my book to read it for the third time.

"So dear, how was town today?", asks my father.

I sigh and reply, "Well... I got a new book.." I pause, wanting to ask a question that's been nagging me for quite some time.

"Father, do you think I'm...odd?"

Father rolls out from under his work and retorts, "Odd? Now how did you get an idea like that??" I look down nervously then sigh.

I say, "I already know that I don't fit in here because there's no one to talk to except you and Ms. Fray.."

Father reaches out from under the invention, trying to find another strange-looking tool, and says, "What about that Gaston? He's quite a handsome fellow."

I shake my head in slight disgust. "He's handsome but so rude and self-centered. He's just not my type, Father", I retort with frustration.

He looks like he hesitated to say something but says, "Don't you worry about that, my dear. If this invention goes well, it'll be the start of our new lives." He rolls out from under the invention and says with hope, "I think I fixed it. Now let's see."

He slowly pulled a lever that was on the side and the large object came to life. There was high-pitched squealing, steam coming out, and a shiver. We both looked over to where the axe was and it was chopping the wood perfectly!! It worked!!

I speak up with pure happiness, "Father, it worked!"

Father was still frozen with shock. "It-it does??!"

I smile widely and reply, "You did it, you really did it!!" I hug him with happiness and excitement.

He lets out a hearty laugh and says, "Hurry and get Phillipe ready! I'm off to the fair!"