Chapter 5

~(Y/N) POV~

After Father left for the fair with his new invention, I decided to clean around the house, even though the rooms were spotless. As I set logs into my fireplace, I heard a deep and hearty laugh. I let out a tired sigh and roll my eyes for the umpteenth time.

Ugh, my day keeps getting better and better.

I quickly light the fire and tame it. I hope that he wasn't going to knock on my door and that he'll take a hint but nope.

Persistent little shi-

A knock echoes throughout my house and I let out a groan of annoyance. As I walk towards the door, I put on a smile, still being kind in general. I smooth down my apron and look through the peephole on my door. Of course. I groan again but open the door reluctantly.

"Gaston? What a pleasant surprise", I say. He just walks in and looks around the living room. I didn't even say he could come in!! I raise an eyebrow but close the door behind him.

Gaston replies, "Isn't it so? I'm just full of surprises." He said with such confidence, I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes so hard, my head would hurt.

He continues, "This is the day that your dreams come true, (Y/N)!"

I mentally scoff at that and reply with, "What would you know about my dreams, Gaston?" Gaston shows his annoying smile and sits in my chair when I was reading. He then sets his muddy boots on my book!!

He dares to say, "Plenty!! Picture this: A rustic hunting lodge, my latest kill roasting above the fire, and my little wife massaging my feet, while the little ones play with the dogs on the floor. We'll have six or seven." I was revolted by his fantasy and as he said 'six or seven', I was hoping he was thinking dogs.

So I said "Dogs??" with a nervous smile.

He chuckles deeply and says, "No, (Y/N)! Strapping boys like me!" As I cleaned off the mud on my book, I walked to the bookshelf when Gaston said, "Can you guess who the wife is?"

I mentally sigh and say sarcastically, "Let me think."

I then set my book back when Gaston corners me. "YOU, (Y/N)."

I gasp but weave out to set the chair in front of me. "G-gaston, I'm..speechless. I don't know what to say." Gaston corners me again.

Jeez, what's with him and cornering??

He looks down at me with desire in his eyes and says, "Say you'll marry me." I feel a tinge of fear but slowly reach for the doorknob.

"I'm very sorry, Gaston but..." I see him close his eyes and lean in. 

Oh my god, he's trying to kiss me.

I panic and twist the knob and finish saying, "But I just don't deserve you!"

I quickly move out of the way so Gaston can flop out of my house finally. I shut the door and lay my back against it, hearing Gaston falling down the steps. I remember his filthy boots and throwing them out as well. I let the biggest sigh of relief and stand there, just in case he is persistent with my hand. I wait a few more moments then take a peek outside. 

"Is he gone?", I ask to no one in particular. One of the hens is standing on the stone rail, eating out of the bucket so I continue talking to her.

"Can you imagine? He asked me to marry him!", I say angrily and then grab the bucket to feed the other chickens. "ME! The wife of that boorish,..brainless..! Madam Gaston, can't you just see it?" I ask with a lot of sarcasm.

"Madam Gaston, his little wife!", I then say with strong disgust. "No sir, not me! I guarantee it! I want so much than this...provincial life!"

I set the bucket down and run into the small flower field. The wind picks up and I feel my dress and apron follow the pattern.

I then say to whatever controls my life in the sky, "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere! I want it more than I can tell... And for once, it might be grand..to have someone understand. I want so much more than they've got planned." 

I picked a flower and watched the seeds fly in the wind, following each other like a group of friends...

I then hear a sharp whinny. I turn my head towards the forest and see... Phillipe?

I get up and say, "Phillipe? What are you doing here??" I turn my head to see the invention but not the inventor.

"Phillipe, where's Father? Oh no, please you have to take me to him. We have to find him!"