Chapter 4

(Long chapter ahead)

~Maurice POV~

FINALLY!! After all of those months, my creation works! I was very proud of myself but (Y/N) did help as well. She was as helpful as her mother. She would always encourage my inventions, and when they failed, she would always be there to help me restart. Determined, strong, and stubborn. My wife was all of those descriptions and that's what I loved about her. I wish she was here, to see our baby girl all grown up into a strong and beautiful young lady.

After (Y/N) left to fetch the wagon and Phillipe, I let out a sigh and look at my pocket watch. I flip it open and it shows a picture of my love. The color was drained sadly, but I remember every little detail on her face. The way the sun shined on her face, showing those gorgeous eyes of hers. They were full of joy and wonder. Her cheeks were always tinted pink. And her smile. Oh, that smile kept making my heart beat faster every time I gaze at her. It was like I was falling for her all over again. I wish I could've done better for her. I wish I had enough money for the medicine she needed. I wish I had seen her one last time.

I feel a tear fall down my face as I smile sadly and put the watch away. I wipe my tear right before (Y/N) and Phillipe comes into view.

I give her a big smile and say, "Thank you, my dear! Now I just have to move my creation to the wagon and I'll be off!" (Y/N) flashes me her smile, which was very similar to her mother's.

She then hugs me tightly and says, "I'm going to miss you, Father. How far is the fair?" I tap my chin, thinking.

I then reply, "Oh, right! It should not be more than a day's journey so I better get going!"

(Y/N) nods and runs into the house, now packing my lunch, from what I assume. I managed to get my invention on the wagon without a scratch. I nod in approval and climb into the driver's seat. (Y/N) runs out of the house, carrying a basket.

"Here, Father. Just in case you may get hungry", she says with kindness.

I smile and take the basket and set it aside. I turn to look at (Y/N) and ask, "Now, what would you like while I'm gone, my dear?" Every time I would leave to show off my inventions at fairs, I would always bring a gift back for (Y/N).

But she would always say-

"A rose, please." She replies. I smile and let out a chuckle.

I ask again, "Is that all you want?" She nods and smiles.

I then reply with, "You have my word then. Stay safe, my dear."

I pat (Y/N)'s head and flick the reins to get Phillipe moving on the dirt trail. Phillipe lets out a small whinny and begins to walk.

I then hear (Y/N) yell, "Goodbye, Father, and good luck!" I turn my head and wave back to her.

"Goodbye, (Y/N) and take care while I'm away!" I then see my home disappear as I venture on through the woods.

~

I ate half of the goods (Y/N) packed for me and I fed Phillipe two apples she packed for him. As we continued into the woods, it became dark so quickly. Like the sun had stopped moving where I was. It was slightly frightening to me and Phillipe. I was more scared for Phillipe as he can be spooked and become out of control.