Learning To Trust

*Present Time*

To say Liam was nervous as he walked into the secluded restaurant to meet Zayn would be an understatement.

It had been a while since they'd talked in person and Liam was really nervous about what Zayn wanted to discuss. Liam only agreed to meet up with him before the get together at Louis' so he could get some closer. He assumed Zayn wanted to talk about what went down between them and the recent discoveries Liam made about their past relationship. But he was worried Zayn was going to try to win him back and Liam didn't know if he wanted that or not. He really didn't trust Zayn at the moment.

"Liam! I'm so glad you made it!" Zayn excitedly said from a table towards the back.

"Hey, no worries. It's been too long and I think it would be good to talk" Liam said as he nervously stood by the table.

"Yeah of course, sit down lunch is on me." Zayn said as Liam sat across from him.

"You really don't have to do that Zayn."

"Nonsense, I invited you," Zayn took a moment to take Liam in, causing the man to fidget under the intense stare. It brought up emotions in Liam he didn't care to feel.

"You look good Liam, god I've missed you so much." Zayn finally broke the awkward silence.

"Thank you, that's kind but can we just skip the small talk, I'm curious to know what you wanted to talk to me about."

Zayn sighed and rubbed his hands over his face before replying.

"Right, yeah...um first of all I'm so sorry Li, I know that isn't enough to make up for everything but I am. I hate myself for what I did."

Zayn genuinely looked apologetic, and Liam hated seeing him look so torn up, but at the same time Zayn brought it on himself. Liam was curious to hear more of what Zayn had to say about it though.

"I know you're sorry, I really appreciate the sentiment, but you're right it can't make up for it."

Liam risked looking up at Zayns face, which was a big mistake if he wanted to stay strong and hold his ground.

"Is there anyway you can ever forgive me?" Zayn basically begged, giving Liam the most pathetic puppy dog eyes he'd ever seen.

"Look, I was really pissed when I found out you were lying to me about being engaged, and I'm still really pissed off, but I don't have the energy to hate you for it. I don't think I actually could."

This wasn't entirely the truth, Liam had the energy to be mad still, he just couldn't bring himself to hate Zayn for it. A part of Liam wanted to feel bad for Zayn and understand why he did it, but another part of him just wanted the conversation to end.

"Li, losing you was the worst thing that's ever happened to me and I-" Before Zayn could even get his point across, Liam cut in.

"Don't even think about trying to get me back Zayn," Liam sighed as he realized how much this conversation was about to hurt, "I can probably forgive you one day, but there's no way I can ever trust you the same. I can't be in a relationship with someone I don't trust, no matter how much I miss you Zayn. I know how much you must be beating yourself up for everything and I'm sorry that we lost what we had. I've moved on though, I moved on even before I knew you were lying to me. I have a new girlfriend and it's going well, I'm sorry. I want you in my life still though. I want us to be mates again."

At this point, tears were threatening to spill from both of the boys' eyes. Zayn made a half-assed attempt at hiding the tears, but it was no use. It was only a matter of minutes before they would probably both be bawling.

"I guess I knew that would be your answer, I mean, I want you in my life in whatever way I can have you. I really wish it could be more than friends but I really don't deserve that anymore." Zayn seemed as if he was playing the pity card and Liam wasn't about to fall for that any more.

"Stop, Zayn, you deserve love. Don't try to guilt me, it won't work. You fucked up and hurt me and no matter how sorry you are it can't fix the lack of trust. Maybe one day I'll trust you again but you can't just sit around and hope that will happen. You need to move on too, Zayn."

This conversation was becoming harder than Liam ever would have thought it would be, despite him having moved on from Zayn, this was making it feel like a fresh wound.

"I don't think I'll be able to move on from you. No one will ever compare to you. Can we just call a truce though? Can we promise to be friends again?" Zayn looked at Liam as if his answer would make or break him.

"I'd like that, I would. I might have a little trouble with it at first but bear with me. I do really wanna be friends again."

A moment or two passed as the two boys sat in silence avoiding each other's eyes. There was a feeling of hope in Liam's chest as he realized he was getting his best friend back.

"So tell me about your new girlfriend." Zayn brine the silence with a question Liam did not expect to hear.

"Are you sure? I don't wanna seem like I'm rubbing it in your face."

"I'm sure, it will help me try to get over you." Zayn said truthfully, and Liam hoped he was right.

Liam started to tell Zayn all about his new girlfriend. It was a little awkward but before long their conversation felt like there had been no time lost between them.

By the time the check came and they headed over to Louis' house, they were laughing and joking around almost like old times.