Chapter 16

A/N - Kate's outfit^^ 

✡ ✡ ✡ 

KATE 

I had my first shift at Starbucks the next day, but I was more nervous about seeing Axel than I was about waitressing. I had forgotten to lay out my outfit last night once again so I rummaged through my dresser in search of something to wear. Finally, I decided on a salmon sleeveless shirt and patterned blue shorts. I tucked the shirt into my shorts and pulled out my necklace from underneath the shirt.

To finish off the look, I grabbed a pair of sandals and headed into the bathroom to do something cute to my hair. I brushed it out and twisted it up into a messy bun, pulling a few strands free to help frame my face. After brushing my teeth, I went into my room to grab my backpack, swinging it lazily over my shoulders, and re-made my bed as quickly as possible before heading down the stairs, my phone clutched tightly in my right hand.

"I made breakfast," my father said, glancing over his shoulder when he heard me come down.

"Oh, thanks," I replied, plopping my backpack onto the floor.

He slid a plate in front of me along with a glass of orange juice and my pill. I thanked him and began eating. I heard my phone buzz against the table and I quickly picked it up.

"Can it wait?" My father asked, taking the seat beside me.

It was a Snapchat from Axel.

"Um, it's work, just hang on just one second," I said, opening the snap from Axel.

It was a picture of the front of his car with a text box that read, 'One more day. You ready?'

I smiled and snapped a picture of my partly eaten breakfast and typed, 'Ready for work or to see you? I'm nervous about work, but happy that I got you for support.'

I hit send and placed my phone back down on the table. It buzzed almost immediately with another Snapchat from him but I ignored it for now. "What'd you want to talk about, dad?"

"Just, you're not still mad at me, are you?" He asked, sounding guilty.

I put my hand over his and smiled as best as I could without making it look forced. "No, dad, I'm not. I know you didn't mean for it to sound the way that it did. It's all good now."

I removed my hand from his and took a swig of my orange juice to chase down the bitterness of the pill. I grabbed my phone and my backpack then headed out the door to the car.

My phone connected to the aux and I began playing my Julia Michaels playlist. My father came into the car soon after and reversed out of the driveway. "I have a surprise for you," my father said, turning up the volume on the radio just slightly.

"What's that?" I asked.

"We're going to visit a car dealership after you're done at school today. I called a place today and they said they have a few cars that might be worth a look."

I smiled. "That's great! We're getting an SUV, right?"

Growing up, my mom always said that if we were going to get a new car it had to be an SUV. I'd never been in a car that wasn't one. My mother always claimed it was the safest and my father and I never saw it any other way.

"Yes, it will be an SUV," my father replied.

I used the newfound silence to my advantage as I picked up my phone and opened Axel's snapchat.

He'd sent another picture of the dashboard of his car, his feet resting on top of it. 'I'm happy you got the job. I know you'll be great :)'

There was something comforting about the thought that he had faith in my abilities.

I sent him a picture of my dashboard and typed, 'Thanks, Axel :)'

I shut off my phone and hit pause on the song since we'd arrived at my school. My father gave me a kiss on my cheek like he always did and I grabbed my backpack, heading into my school, a skip in my step.