Chapter 79

A/N - Kate's romper^^

✡ ✡ ✡ 

KATE 

My phone vibrated beside my bed and I tossed off the covers, reading the text from Axel.

AXEL - Gm babe, I'm psyched for our date today ;)

I smiled to myself, responding,

KATE - Me too :)

Once I hit send, I walked up to my closet, pulling a pale blue off-the-shoulder romper off its hanger, then grabbed my pair of tan boots before opening my bedroom door to let Max out. Once I was fully dressed, I quickly brushed my hair and teeth in front of my bathroom mirror and grabbed my backpack and phone, and began heading down the stairs.

"Hey, Kate, you're up early," my dad said, surprised.

"Yeah, Max woke me up," I lied, failing to mention that it was a text from Axel and not my dog.

"I think he's finally figured out that dog door," my dad claimed, gesturing toward the back door.

Sure enough, Max hopped into the house through his new door and strutted over to his water bowl, lapping up the water with his tongue.

"Wow, and I didn't even have to teach him," I said, opening a cabinet and grabbing a glass, filling it with tap water from the sink.

Once I'd taken my pill, I tucked my phone into the back pocket of my shorts and swung my backpack over one shoulder. "I'm ready, dad," I announced, opening the front door.

"Oh, okay, yeah, let me just grab the keys," he said, grabbing his computer bag before getting the keys off the kitchen table.

✡ ✡ ✡

"Oh my gosh, Kate, last night was amazing!" Corey exclaimed, pulling me into a hug.

I timidly hugged her back, breathing in the scent of her expensive perfume. When she released me, we both headed off to P.E., one of my least favorite classes.

Once we reached the gym, we walked over to the locker rooms, changing into our gym clothes. I changed into a pair of white athletic shorts and a grey workout tank with Nike sneakers inside a stall while Corey changed near her gym locker.

Once I was fully changed, I emerged from the stall and waited for Corey. She came around the corner not long after wearing a pair of black Nike Pro athletic shorts and a hot pink workout top with white sneakers.

"Ready to do this?" She asked, tying her hair up into a messy high ponytail.

"I swear to gosh, if we're playing indoor basketball again, I'm going to scream," I declared, double-knotting my left sneaker.

"Same. I can't have Jax on my team again," Corey said with a groan.

Jax was this kid in our class that clearly had a thing for Corey. He wasn't bad looking, at least not to me, but Corey hated his personality so much that she refused to see beyond it.

Corey and I left the girl's locker room, still chatting about indoor basketball when she spotted Jax and froze.

"Hey, Corey!" He yelled, catching sight of us.

"Oh, God, shoot me," Corey whispered dramatically.

"Hey, girls," Jax said, draping his sweaty arm over my shoulders. "How we doing?"

"Jax, get your arm the fuck off of Kate right now," Corey said, glaring daggers at him.

"Sorry beautiful, I didn't realize you'd get jealous, there's plenty of me to go around," he said, sliding his other arm over Corey's shoulders, but she slapped it away.

"Actually, I'm gay, so leave me the fuck alone," Corey said, her tone dark in warning.

Jax looked surprised and removed his arm from around my shoulders. "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

Corey smiled. "Because I didn't have my girlfriend here with me to prove it, but now I do," she said, pulling me closer beside her.

Jax looked appalled. "You're lying," he declared, "prove it."

So Corey wrapped her arm around my waist and crushed her lips against mine. I gasped in shock, but kissed her back, willing to put up this show for as long as it was necessary.

I opened my eyes slightly, seeing Jax still standing there in disbelief so I ran my tongue over Corey's bottom lip, coaxing her to open her mouth. She did as I said and I slipped my tongue inside her mouth. Her breath tasted like toothpaste and cheerios, not the best taste, but not bad enough to make me pull away. Finally, Jax walked away and we pulled apart, wiping our mouths on our arms.

"You're a good kisser, Kate," Corey said, slightly out of breath.

And "thanks, babe," was all I could think of to say in response.