Chapter 38

Connie felt numb. She was almost certain she was somehow floating through the sky, no matter how impossible it is. She tried to open her eyes, but it felt like they were glued shut.

She tried to wiggle her fingers. She tried to stretch out her legs. The feeling of numbness, thankfully, was slowly fading. She tried to move her fingers. Connie felt relief as all of her fingers stretched out.

The relief instantly disappeared though as a hot flash of pain shot through her body. She attempted to open her mouth in a cry of pain, but it only came out as a small squeak. W-what happened..? Where.. where am I?

She heard a door slowly open, and slow footsteps walking up to whatever she was laying on. What was she laying on? It felt soft, so she assumed it was a bed. "Oh, Connie. I hope you wake up soon. I'm sorry I couldn't do more, and if you don't wake up.. I'll.." The voice cut itself off.

M-mom? Mom! It's mom! She tried to speak, but her mouth refused to open. "I don't know what's happening over, but there's been small earthquakes. Since you can't tell me, I guess you got hurt by falling debris." The voice continued.

She felt her mother's hand give hers a small, gentle squeeze, then slip away. Mom.. I wish I could ask you to stay.. Footsteps slowly faded away. She attempted to open her eyes again.

Though, she was trying to hard and her eyes did open, but it didn't give her anytime to adjust to the faint light. Stretched her arms and hastily tried to sit up, only to groan as pain flickered through her body, starting from her leg.

She leaned the top half of her body up and looked at her legs. Oh.. that looked like it would've been painful to get.. Connie thought, looking at one of her legs which was heavily bandaged.

She reached out and softly ran her hands over the bandage. Another small spark of pain caused her to finally look up and notice her surroundings. The room wasn't hers, which slightly surprised her. It had a dark, smooth looking brown wood floor. She was in one of the corners on a bed, which also had dark wood.

It had soft red blankets and fluffy pillows. There was a desk which stood proudly at one of the ends of the room. It was littered with papers which were scattered on and around it. There was a door in the centre of the wall.

"M-" Connie cut herself off with a cough, and turned to see a small bedside table. A tall glass of water lay on it. She reached forwards and firmly grabbed it, before lifting it up and chugging it.

She slammed the glass back down, or really, she just aggressively put the cup back, as she didn't want to smash it. Connie then tried to remember how she had gotten hurt. She laid her hands on her head and combed through her memories.

Don't hurt yourself, Connie. She grunted with effort, and a sudden sharp pain pierced through her mind. "Ow!" She must've hit her head, but she could remember before she got hurt, and it began to get blurry as she approached the gems, who was telling her something. About Steven, being a monster.

I- I need to get back. I need to help! I'm useless here! Connie slid her legs off off the bed and sighed. She carefully placed weight on her uninjured leg and stood up, mentally prepping herself for the pain she'll feel when she tries to walk.

She inhaled and slowly placed down her injured leg. With a gasp of pain, she fell to the ground. Thankfully, she didn't make much noise. I need to be careful. I don't want to open a wound seemingly this big.

She grabbed the edge of the bed and attempted to get up. Oof, this may be a little harder then I had originally thought. She pulled herself up with a grunt of effort and attempt to steady herself as she balanced on he one leg.

"I can't just run through the front door, mom and dad will never allow it when I'm like this," Connie muttered. "And they might expect me to slide out the window." She plopped back down onto the bed, glaring at her leg.

"I should've been more careful! I've been training for years! I should've been watching the monster!" She said angrily to herself, feeling rage bubble up from deep in her. Connie angrily grumbled and attempted to stand again.

She saw her sword leaning on the bedside table and grabbed it, a smile on her face as an idea formed in her mind. She grabbed it and placed it next to her, and used it to hobble over to a nearby window, though it was hard since the sword was so much shorter than her.

Connie stared outside, seeing cars drive by every so often and rain falling into puddles. I should be helping. Steven's my friend. Connie felt horrible. Her fingers curled around her clothes and tightly gripped it.

A wave of sadness washed over her, and it made her feel pathetic. I should be helping! Her eyes glazed over and she began to rapidly wipe them. Crying won't help! I need to be out there! Actually helping people!

She turned and slid down the wall with a sigh, listening to the rain. Connie felt cold, and lonely. She also felt sad, knowing her friends were fighting, possibly getting hurt themselves while she sat in her house!

She sighed, and brought a hand up to her face to rest on it. Connie's hand recoiled when it touched her face. W-when did I start crying? I should cry! She wiped them off but they kept coming, stinging her eyes.

She was so focused in getting rid of the tears that she didn't hear the footsteps coming up to her room, and she didn't hear her door softly open. "Connie! Why are you awake and on the floor.. crying..?"

Footsteps rushed over to her and her shoulder were grabbed. "Connie! Are you alright?" Her mom asked in a worried voice. Connie refused to look at her mother and covered her eyes.

"Connie, please answer me. Did your wound reopen?" Her mom begged. Connie looked up at her mothers worried face and lost it, launching herself into her arms. "Connie!" Her mom said, surprised as she hugged back.

Mrs Maheswaran rubbed circles on her daughters back, and Connie just cried into her shirt. "Shh.. It's alright.. just calm down and tell me what's wrong." Her mother soothed. Connie was thankful her mother was here hugging her, and felt better.

She began to quietly tell her mom, not knowing whether or not she'd hear her. "I should be there helping. My friends are getting injured and I can't do anything." Mrs Maheswaran was slightly confused, but didn't let it bother her.

"Connie, you deserve rest too. I love you, and seeing you cry upsets me too. You work hard for your friends, and I'm sure they wouldn't want you beating yourself up." Her mother whispered.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Hello! I wrote this chapter as well as I could, forgive me. If anyone is going through a hard time, I cannot do much, but remember, people are still there for you.

- Salty

Nightmares echoing from down somewhere

Running stressed hands through your hair

Sparks of insanity in their minds

They never thought he'd turn on his own kind.