Chapter 6

As I got ready for the party, I had a mild panic because I did not know what to wear

As I got ready for the party, I had a mild panic because I did not know what to wear. Daesung said it would be casual so there was really no need to wear a fancy dress, which was good because I didn't own anything of the sort. As I rummaged around in the wardrobe with my clothes stuffed inside, I pulled out a few shirts and a pair of blue jeans. These will do.

I yanked on my blue skinny jeans and a white long sleeved v-neck shirt. Straightening my long, dark hair, I looked in the mirror and sighed to myself. I felt really nervous. In fact, I was so nervous that I messed up one of my eyeliner wings. Typical. Oh well, it wasn't as if anyone would care.

I checked my phone and there was still no message from Jiyong, or anyone for that matter. They had probably forgotten about me. They were only inviting me as a favour to my boss anyway. Even though I was dressed and ready, I left my bedroom and slumped down on the sofa. As I looked out of the window, I decided that I wasn't going to go. I got up and walked to the kitchen, poured myself a glass of whiskey and sat back down again. It was time that I moved on with my life. Yes, I was happy at the coffee shop but I needed to make some more friends. Picking up my laptop with my free hand, I opened up the computer and searched for Korean lessons for beginners. There were a few at the college by my work. I took big slug of my whiskey, feeling it go straight to my head. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe that was too big of a sip.

Those silly boys, inviting me to their stupid party.

I opened a new browser on my laptop and googled 'Choi Seunghyun'. I was starting to get drunk and seeing his face seemed like an excellent idea. I was about to hit the enter button and my phone vibrated. It was a text message.

'CHEONSA. 8PM. DOSAN-DAERO. STARBUCKS. JI.'

My heart sank and floated at the same time if that was even possible. The alcohol was clouding my judgement. Normally, I would be rational but I flung myself off the sofa, put my black heels on, chucked my leather biker jacket onto my shoulders and picked up the bottle of whiskey. I placed it carefully in my bag as I did not want anyone to see that I was drinking in public. Even in England, that was frowned upon.

I walked the 10 minutes from my apartment to the train station, which was no mean feat in heels, and waited for the next train. I wondered if I should reply to Jiyong? I typed a drawn out response:

'Hi Jiyong. Thankyo u for texttttt. Yes I LOVE to come along OPPA xxxxxxxxx xxo'.

However, I realised the alcohol in my system was not helping the situation so I just replied 'see you soon'. It took me around 2 minutes to carefully type it out without trying to sound like a drunk. I giggled to myself in anticipation. The couple next to me on the platform looked over at me, wondering what I was laughing at. Luckily, the train pulled up and we all got on. I found myself a seat and gazed out of the window pretending I was in one of their music videos. What was I doing?! Snap out of it.