There's No Place Like Home

Y/N POV

After a dreadful 6 hour flight, I'm back home. We walk out of the terminal to find our parents waiting for us. Ethan hasn't said much since the taxi ride to LAX, I think he's still mad at me for calling Mom and Dad. I don't get why he's mad, he's finally get the help he needs. I guess he's just stubborn. We spot both our parents, I run up to them giving them each a big hug. Ethan follows after me, walking up to them, accepting their opens arm. My mom cries as Ethan goes in her embrace. This should've been a happy thing, us coming home together like this, why isn't feeling good at all?

I watch my dad hug my brother, I couldn't tell if he was happy he was home or disappointed as to why he's home. Everyone has issues now and no one's satisfied. Is this even home anymore?

We drive back to the house. I can't even bring myself to call it home. Yes, it's my house, I've lived in it for the past 17 years of my life. So why does it feel like I'm walking into a strangers home?

I bring my stuff into my room, looking at what I left behind. This doesn't even feel like my room anymore. I go into my closet to find all the clothes I haven't worn in forever. I unpack my suitcase and find Daniel's hoodie. I hold it close to me, inhaling it's lingering scent. I unpack all the clothes I bought on my LA Adventures with Anna, all the tie dye shirts I dyed with Gabbie and Andre, and my homecoming dress. I stare at the red silk with it's lace detail. I throw them all on the floor for now, I don't have the energy to put them away right now. 

I go downstairs to see my parents in the living room, watching TV. My mom spots me, calling me over. I sit down in my dad's armchair, feeling the leather against my skin, knowing deep down it's nothing like the couch back in LA.

"So, tell us about your trip." my mom asks, enthusiastic to hear what I have to say.

"Well, I met a lot of great people there. Um, there was this one person in particular, his name's Daniel. He's Christian's brother. He's really great, so welcoming, he even showed me around the area, I was closest to him there. Yeah, Daniel he's, he's..."

In California.

A thousand miles away.

I didn't know what happened after that, I just remember feeling numb for the rest of the day. I must've blanked out 'cause I didn't hear what my parents were asking me after that. I walked back to my room and unpacked the rest of my stuff.

I'm halfway through unpacking when I hear a knock on my window. I look out to see the two people I have missed the most when I was in LA. Brooke and Hannah, found climbing the tree outside of my window. I open my window, letting them in.

"Surprise!!!" They say in unison. I smile at their presence, I missed them so much. They tackle me with their hugs as we sit on my bed.

"What are you guys doing here?" They each throw their bags on the floor. "What's with the bags?"

"We're going on a road trip, start packing." Hannah says as she empties out my backpack. Brooke goes into my closet, picking out clothes for me.

"Where? Why?" I ask, they give me a change of clothes and push me into my bathroom.

"Just don't ask any questions!" Hannah says, I hear Brooke squeal in the background. It's nice spending time with them again. I walk out in the outfit they picked out for me; ripped mom jeans, Dani's hoodie, and Vans. I will miss wearing shorts this time of the year.

"That's a cute hoodie, where'd you get it?" Brooke asks. I look down at the red hoodie on me, tattered hoodie strings and all. 

"It's um, it's actually Daniel's." They each exchange looks, a smile grows on each their faces. 

"That is so cute, I'm actually jealous." Hannah says. Brooke nods in agreement. We finish packing my stuff and climb out the window and down the tree. I'm guessing my parents won't know about this, or their parents, but at this point I could care less. That house is the farthest thing from home right now.

~

We've been driving in Hannah's car for about 3 hours. They haven't given me any hints as to where we're going, all I knew was that my parents were going to kill me. Hannah finally stops at this forest. I don't think I've ever been here before. Brooke takes my hand, covering my eyes with her other hand.

"What's going on?" I ask. I hear laughing in the background, then it gets silent. "Guys?" I feel Brooke's hand let go and I open my eyes. 

"WELCOME HOME!" a group of some classmates scream. There are fairy lights wrapped around the trees, a pick up truck filled with food and drinks, and tents surrounded everywhere. My face is filled with instant joy as I am greeted by all my classmates.

The party begins and everyone is dancing to the music and chatting. I make my way through the crowd, saying hi to forgotten faces. Only a few people asked me how my trip was, others were just there for the food and drinks. 

It was past midnight, and people began to go to sleep. Everyone went into their own tent. I had a 5 person tent with Brooke and Hannah, but they ditched me for these 2 guys from the football team. So here I am, all alone, in this ridiculously big tent, in the middle of the woods, at a party I don't even want to be at. 

What sucks the most, is that there's no phone service. As conceited and bratty as that sounds, the only person I want to see is a thousand miles away; and the only way I can even talk to them is with my phone, which is useless now. 

I couldn't sleep that night. I left my tent and grabbed my stuff just before sunrise. I took Hannah's Jeep and drove it past the lake and through the woods. I found myself parked at the edge of a cliff, overlooking the rest of the woods.

The sun rises as I park, and it's one of the most beautiful thing I've seen. It was so calming too, I've never felt so calm since I got here. I just need to clear my mind, everything has gone so fast. One day I'm across the country, the next day I'm not. It doesn't feel right anymore.

I watch the sun rise and think about the day me and Daniel watched the sunset at our little spot on the hill. I check my phone for phone service - no luck.

I call my parents to pick me up before everyone wakes up to go swimming in the lake. My dad got to the campsite just before everyone woke up. I know the party was meant for me, 'Welcome Home' and all, but lets face it - this isn't home anymore.