Chapter 24 'What Came?'

Laney's POV

We got home yesterday from Virginia. I was glad to be home, but I really did miss it there. I woke up and trudged down the stairs, still jet lagged. My mom was already up and perky. I wasn't in the mood for it quite frankly.

"Hey Honey! Good morning! I made some breakfast? You hungry?" I didn't know if she was still feeling bad for me because I hadn't told her about our encounter on the trip yet.

"Yeah, sure just a little bit though. I still have a little jet lag from yesterday." She placed a plate in front of me when I took a seat across from her at the dining table.

"You look great sweetie! Finally getting over him?"

"Mom," I sighed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, it's okay, I just have something to tell you. When we were in Virginia, he was there for a show. My stupid self went with Matt, and after tons of arguing, we made up," I paused for a little bit deciding if I should continue with what happened the other night.

"That's great! So are you back together? That might not be such a great idea right now. You know, you just got heart broken by him and now you're-"

"We aren't back together, I don't think we will be, but Mom what are you talking about? A couple weeks ago you were saying we were meant for each other and we would end up together? What's up?"

"We were going to wait until tonight to tell you, but I guess I'll tell you now." Great. Something else to add pressure to my life? She got up from the table and grabbed an envelope that was laying on the counter.

"This came in the mail when you were gone," she smiled excitedly.

"What came?" I looked at the envelope carefully and read on the front. Oh my gosh. 'Juilliard School, New York' was printed on the front.

"Mom! Oh my gosh! I'm scared to open it," I chuckled putting it down.

"I'll open it," she said snatching it away from beside me. She ripped it right open and pulled the letter out. I covered my eyes, not wanting to see her expression.

"LANEY! YOU GOT IN!" She cheered, but part of me sank.

"That's great!" I said as excited as my body would let me. She frowned at me and sat down.

"You don't seem very happy."

"I am, it's just, I've got some complicated things going on right now. I really wanna go, but it's pretty far."

"You can't let a boy stop you from chasing your dreams Laney, I know you love him, but don't be stupid about this. I know what it's like, I loved a boy in high school and didn't go to the college I wanted. Instead I followed him, and turns out, he had no future whatsoever. I finally found your dad, got a somewhat good job, and fell in love with him. Don't make that same mistake. I would do anything to go back and go," she lectured pleadingly. She was right I guess. How did I know if I would end up with him for the rest of my life? I'm only 18, I've got awhile.

"Okay, I'll think about it. But Mom, Wesley won't be the only person I'm leaving behind."

"Matt?"

"Mom, he told me he loves me," I suddenly felt tears slip out of the corners of my eyes. She rubbed my back soothingly and tried to stop them.

"Oh sweetie, maybe you just need a break? Away from everyone for awhile?"

"You're probably right, this would be good for me. But you know how many people are going to try and convince me not to go?"