Other Prompts- Our Own Mistakes/The Stars That Night

"I don't want nothing to do with anymore Waymires," Silas said, sulking in the passenger seat.

               "Aw, come on, Si! It'll be fun," I said. "Besides, Jack's cousin is...well, I was going to say he's not that bad, but he kind of is. Honestly, you'll probably like him."

               Jack's aunt, uncle, and cousin were all visiting, and Jack had invited us to a bonfire with them. I'd been a little nervous at first about Silas meeting Jack's cousin, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized Silas would actually probably feel comfortable around the guy.

               I pulled into Jack's driveway and got out of the car with Silas. Akira's car was already here, so I led Silas around to the backyard, where I could hear arguing.

               "You stupid fucking mongrel!" Jack's cousin, Hal, said angrily. "You almost hit me in the face!"

               "And I'll do it again," Jack threatened, brandishing an unlit firework at him.

               Hal snatched it away from Jack and threw it on the ground, stomping on it. "Try it now, bitch."

               "If you think that'll stop me, you're wrong," Jack scoffed. "I have a box of those in the garage."

               "Chester, I WILL throw your stupid ass into that fire if you light another firework off at me," Hal warned.

               "Henry, I WILL light another firework off at you," Jack warned.

               "You're right, I like him more than Jack already," Silas said as we watched them stare each other down.

               "Jack," I called before the cousins could tear each other to shreds.

               "Oh, hey pal!" Jack said brightly. "Didn't see you come around the house."

               "Hi, Hal," I greeted as we went over to them. I gestured to Silas. "Hal, this is Silas. Silas, this is Jack's cousin Hal."

               "Don't introduce me like that. I don't want to be associating with him," Hal said. Jack stomped on his foot and he hopped away. "Ow, fuck, sand hiding in ogres! You're the fucking worst, Jack!"

               "Guess I don't know my own strength," Jack said.

               "Nah, he just stubbed his toe on the counter this morning," another boy said, coming up beside Hal. "Here, I got us sodas."

               "Garrett, I don't know if you remember Hal's parasite of a friend, Griffin," Jack said.

               "I am not the parasite in this friendship. Hal stole half my French toast this morning," Griffin said.

               "It was a few bites, you drama queen," Hal said.

               "It was half a slice!" Griffin said. "You know what, fuck you. You can get your own soda."

               "You two sort that out. I've got to go dig out more fireworks since SOMEONE so rudely stepped on mine," Jack said, glaring at Hal.

               "You break them fireworks out, I'm going to call Ray out so he and I can beat your ass," Silas warned.

               "It's my house!" Jack said.

               "It's gonna end up on my fuckin' yard!" Silas said.

               I stepped between them with a sigh. "Let's just sit and enjoy the fire, please."