The Rain ~ Doyoung

You sit by the bottom of the tall, shady park tree, completely immersed in your book.

The wind is slow and calm, and the skies are somewhat blue, a few clouds off into the distance.

Time seems to fly on by as you continue to read, not noticing anything going on around around you.

Time and space seems to disappear as you are fully entranced in the pages, the feel of the cold, soft paper on your fingertips is all you seem to notice.

Everything was at peace, everything was going along calmly until you snap out of the enticing book.

A droplet of water falls onto your page, soaking into the paper. Not long after the first drop, another and another, all filling your pages with grey dots.

You close the book and look around at the now dark atmosphere. Rain was beginning to come down from the obsidian sky, wetting anything which lays below.

The tapping and patting of the rain falling fills your ears. Though you enjoyed the calming sound, you certainly did not want to get wet.

You stuff your book into your inner jacket pouch and zip it up tight. You walk swiftly through the park along the lake, head hung low as to avoid as much rain on your face as possible.

The rain began coming down hard and fast.

As you make your way towards the exit of the park, thunder bellows out, loudly rumbling through your ears. No more than a second later a large strike of lighting flashes somewhere nearby, making a loud crash as everything lights up quickly.

You jump as your heart races, the lightning startling you. You hate lightning.

You continue to walk, the rain soaking into your clothing and nearly fully drenching your hair, you begin to feel cold. Shivers are sent mercilessly down your body, trailing goosebumps along your skin.

You just wanted to make it back inside, to be out of the weather conditions. Your head is still hung low, all you could feel was the never ending cold rain tapping on your head as you walk along the abandoned streets.

But suddenly, it stops.

You see a pair of feet step beside you and you continue to hear the rain, it's just not touching you. You stop and raise your head to see a kind gentleman, looking at you with a small smile.

"Thank you."
You say, lip slightly shaking from the cold.

He just smiles and looks around quickly.

"Do you live far from here?"
He asks, looking down to meet your eyes.

You live a bit far away but like to walk to the park every afternoon to read. You prefer to walk than drive.

You give him a small smile.
"I live sort of far... but it's okay, I'm fine with walking."

"In the rain?"

You pause and look away, knowing you don't want to bother anyone.

"Look, do you at least want to wait for the rain to finish before you keep walking? Come into the cafe, they have a good heating system so you can hopefully dry off. You don't want to get sick. The rain will pass by soon."

He doesn't even let you answer as he pulls you into the cafe with him, taking down his umbrella and leaving it by the door. You walk with him to the counter as he speaks to the barista.

He's so nice, why would he do something like this for a stranger...?

"So two large hot chocolates?"