Endless Maze ~ Han

The painful realisation hits you hard that no matter what you do... they will find you.

————

You run through the endless maze stretched out across the land, trying desperately to find some sort of exit. This isn't a normal maze, you didn't come here on purpose.

You refuse to let the frustration pull tears from your eyes, they're burning behind the edges. There is no point in crying, no matter how scary this is.

Nightfall is rapidly approaching, and you still have no idea where you're going or if you were ever going to escape. Rows and rows of tall leaves and thorns, pathways made out of rubble, dead leaves and what seems to be burnt coal.

You can't remember anything from last night, all you know is that you woke up in the centre of this large puzzle and you haven't been able to find a way out through the whole day you've been here. You've yelled, you've tried to climb only to receive deep cuts and wounds from the thorns.

You try to listen to your gut feeling, you take moments at every turn to close your eyes and let your feet point you in the direction your intuition is telling you to go.

You wonder if anyone else is here, you wonder if there even is a way out, if it's all dead ends or if you're just going in circles, you wonder how you even got here and most of all, you wonder what creatures might lurk here during the night. The instant you saw the sun setting, you were sprinting as fast as your two feet could carry you. And you still haven't reached the end.

It feels hopeless, it feels lonely. The dark of the night is spreading slowly across the lands, the temperatures cooling down and your head pounding from lack of water. You're waiting for the moment you would wake up, but that moment never came.

You hoped someone would come along, to lead you out or at least keep you company so you aren't braving this alone. You're like a young girl in a lonely boat, sailing along the entirety of the dark ocean without a single star in the sky to guide you. You're lost. Completely lost.

You can't see where the maze is located, the walls of branches make it impossible to see over. Wherever it is, it must be on slightly sloping country since the ground sometimes seems to dip down or raise at certain turns. The sun must have dipped past the curve of the land, because slowly the sky has turned deep maroon, a couple stars showing in the dark sky.

The crunching of dead leaves and stones beneath your feat is the only sound to be heard, it was eerie. No birds, no wind, only noise coming from what you make. You can't give up, there is no way you can give up now. You've run so far, and as much as you want to take a break, you want to escape more. You pray there is even an escape... or you're going to die here.

Your kingdom will lose their future princess, her last moments spent in confusion, fear and exhaustion. The princess that went missing in the night, no one knows where she went, where she could have gone. She will die alone, in the clutches of a labyrinth. Who's going to feed Moortje? The poor cat will be climbing up to your window every night in search for the kind girl, only to find her gone. How will your younger sister feel? What will your parents do?

Maybe they've already sent out army's to search for you. However, wherever you are, it's far away from the kingdom. You know the lands around it like the back of your hand, and yet you have never heard of a maze anywhere nearby.

The world seems different, quieter, the sky dusty orange instead of sweet blue. You're wondering if you're even on the same dimension. If this isn't the dimension you're used to, then where are you?

An abrupt, loud, distant growl answers your question. The giant growl is followed by the high pitched screeching of other creatures. Monsters.