Warfare

Shuichi woke up, feeling rather exhausted. Oh, that's right. I woke up in the middle of the night. Shuichi sighed, and got out of bed. He quickly got dressed, and put his hat on as he left the room. Kaede was already awake, sitting at a small table with some food. "G-Good morning, Kaede."

"Oh! Hi Shuichi!" Kaede said brightly. She looked well rested. "You're up early."

"Really?" Shuichi asked, as he sat down next to her. "What time is it?"

"Some time around six." She replied. Shuichi nodded. "Anyways, what's the plan today? What are we going to do?"

Shuichi thought for a moment. "I don't know. We may just stay inside all day today." (A/N social distancing.) Shuichi tapped the table. "Or we could try something else. Like, scout? Maybe?" Shuichi shrugged. "I'm not so sure."

Kaede rested her cheek on her hand. "Hm, maybe? I don't know how many of us would go scouting." 

Shuichi nodded. "Yeah, I'd probably be Maki again. Or maybe Rantaro."

"I think they need a break," Kaede continued. "They've been working really hard. They've also been waking up a lot later."

"Yeah, let's let them rest." The two went silent for a moment, not really knowing what to say. Shuichi sat there in thought. Wonder what's going to happen today. Shuichi looked towards the door for a moment. It's been a while since I've gone outside. I should probably do that soon. 

"Anyways Shuichi, what should we do to pass the time?" She asked. "I would love to play the piano, but we don't have one. I would play the Entertainer, by Scott Joplin! I think a lot of us need a fun song to listen to." Kaede sighed, looking into the distance. That's right, Kaede hasn't been able to touch a piano for at least a year now. Shuichi looked at her solemnly. I'm so sorry, Kaede. Kaede looked at Shuichi curiously. "Is there something wrong Shuichi? You've been staring at me for a long time."

Shuichi shook his head. "N-No, I'm fine. I was just thinking about something." Shuichi looked away, staring at the wall. I hope she's been doing okay. I don't want to pry. The two went into silence again, as they didn't have anything to talk about. Shuichi would say, that his life had been incredibly boring ever since the world's most biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history had started. Sure, he was doing fine, not having to worry to much about dying, but it was very boring. Being forced to stay inside the same building for days on end, was not interesting in the slightest. Shuichi huffed. I really wish we had something to do. Like, play card games or something. 

Kaede got up from the table. "Well, Shuichi, I'm going to go and talk to Tsumugi." Kaede sighed. "Gotta see how she's holding up. She hasn't been able to cosplay for a long time." Kaede turned around and began walking away.

"Wait!" Shuichi stood up suddenly. Kaede turned back to look at him. "I-I don't mean to pry, but I mean, are you doing okay? You haven't been able to play the piano in a long time..."

Kaede smiled. "Don't worry about me, Shuichi. I'll be fine."

Shuichi frowned. "Kaede, don't lie to me. Please."

Kaede's eyes widened for a moment. She looked to the ground, attempting to avoid eye contact. "S-So you saw through that one, huh?"

Shuichi looked away from her for a moment, intertwining his fingers. A small smile cam on his face. "I used to hang out with Kokichi of all people. Remember?"

Kaede laughed. "I guess so. You got really good as seeing through lies."

Shuichi's smile fell off his face. "Well, not all of them." A small silence fell between them. Shuichi winced slightly, before shaking his head and sighing. "A-Anyways, I'm going to head back to my room. I've got some things I've got to finish up." Kaede nodded to him, and Shuichi got up and left the room. He didn't bother getting anything to eat, as he wasn't hungry. He entered his room and shut the door behind up. He quietly sat at his desk, pulling out a small journal.