2

The first day of school with Kindergarten generally consists of everyone sitting in a circle and introducing themselves but dumbed down to name, favorite color, favorite animal, and favorite ice cream flavor.

Jimin sits in a chair and listens as the kids talk. When it gets to Sangjun, Jimin smiles. Sangjun opens his mouth to talk and one of the other kids raises their hand. Jimin tells them to wait until the end. 

Sangjun talks quietly and doesn't make eye contact with anyone. "My name is Sam. I like green. Um... dinosaurs are cool. Chocolate is my favorite ice cream flavor..."

After all of the kids are done introducing themselves, the other kid raises their hand again. Jimin smiles. "Yes, Emily?"

"Can I change my desk so I can sit next to Sam?"

Jimin's smiles gets wider. He had noticed that the desk next to Sam was empty. "Sure. Everybody, lunch is starting in a few minutes. You can go to your cubbies and grab your lunchboxes if you brought one."

The kids all cheer at the thought of food and most of them stand up to grab their lunchbox. Emily grabs hers and walks over to Sam who's still sitting on the carpet. "Did you bring a lunchbox?"

Sam shakes his head. Emily pouts. "That doesn't sound fun. School lunches sound gross. You can have half of my sandwich if you want it."

Sam nods. She points at his shoes. "I like your shoes. Mine light up too, but they're pink instead of green."

Sam just stares at his shoes. Emily stands up and walks over to her other friends. Jimin walks over. "Sangjun, we're going to lunch. You need to stand up."

Sam stands up. "Are my shoes green?"

"Yes."

"Oh. I thought that color was blue..."

"So does that mean that blue is your favorite color?"

He nods. "Colors are confusing. So are the squiggles that make words. I don't get those..." He pouts and crosses his arms, getting into the lunch line.

-