The Sunlight Rune

The battle was the most impressive thing clary had ever seen. It was just explosions after explosions after explosions and all of them were so blinding that she found herself covering her eyes multiple times.

"We need to do something. Anything."

Clary looked at the man that she loved.

"There is nothing we can do Jace, you know it. This" she showed the raging battle "is way above us. The downworlders on our side are fighting and winning against the other downworlders. They are helped by angels. Minor demons are losing attacked by the seraphs. The main battle is with the greater demon."

"How did they get into Heaven in the first place? Isn't this place supposed to have so much Heavenly fire that they are automatically pushed away?"

Cain appeared by their side followed by Simon, Izzy, Alec and Magnus came as well. The group was looking at the scene in front of their eyes.

"They used to be automatically pushed away. Every year the strength of the Heavenly fire weakens and that's why every thousand years, when an archangel falls, they access heaven. It always creates a war but this time it's different, it's been long enough for all the greater demons to reform and they are all here. Heaven didn't have to fight that since the dawn on times."

"So by increasing the Heavenly Fire but potentially could weaken them enough?" Asked Alec.

"Technically yes but Heavenly fire doesn't appear out of thin air."

"No," Izzy nodded. "But Clary has a sunlight rune. If we manage to intensify it we could blind them temporarily. Maybe long enough for the archangels to send them back to hell!"

Cain looked at the battle. The ground was covered in piles of dead bodies... most likely the fallen downworlders.

"Look at the size of the battle. If we really want to blind all of them we will need to find something that will reflect Clary's light and magnify it to a planetary level."

"And can we do that?"

Cain presses his lips harder. It had never been done before. He looked around him.

"The cathedral is made out of a reflecting surface. That means that it needs to be lit up from every direction for it to be strong enough."

"And if I give you the rune, guys? You think you can do it?"

Jace took clary's hand.

"We might. I don't know if the angels would allow that though..."

"Seems to me like they're pretty busy." Magnus laughed at his own joke.

"Right then, let's give it a try."

Everyone agreed with Alec and they put themselves in a circle: Alec, Izzy, Jace and Clary. She softly touched each of their skin with her stele and drew a symbol on it. The symbol burnt their hands and disappeared into thin air.

"That's it?" Asked Simon.

"Technically... yes. Now we need to get into position and draw it at the same time to activate it."

"Alright let's go then."

The group jumped at the bottom of the citadel. Clary landed on her feet and looked around. The place was empty. She faced the wall and waited. Cain, who could see everyone from up there will tell them when and they all would do it at the same time.

Clary felt some movement behind her but stayed focused. Suddenly someone grabbed her and she felt the coldness of a metal blade against her throat.

"I'm sorry Clary... I don't have a choice. They.. they..."

"Luke?!"

She tried to push him away but his grip was firm.

"Clary... he cornered me I have no choice."

"Luke what are you doing?! We need to try something that could give us the advantage over then."

The tears fell down her face and she was angry, angry that he would let that happen, angry that he turned against her.

"It doesn't matter if we win or lose. He will get to me. He always will. I have a debt."

"What are you talking about?!"

She screamed so loudly that Cain heard it. He looked beneath and saw Luke menacing Clary. He ran to Jace.

"Jace, Clary. Go!"

Without thinking twice Jace ran to her as fast as he could. He arrived there shortly after. What he saw made his blood boil. Before Luke could see his presence he snuck behind him and pressed the blade at the bottom of his spine.

"Let her go."

"I can't Jace. I'm sorry."

"Traitor. We are saving the world now. Let. Her. Go."

Luke turned around to Jace.

"I don't have a choice Jace. He'll take everything from me."

"Who?!"

Jace attacked with his blade but Luke avoided the hit.

"I can't tell."

"Very well, I will make you say it."

The both engaged in a heated battle. None of their hearts was in it but they did what had to be done. Clary was pressed against the wall of the citadel screaming, crying and telling them to stop this. She looked at Luke's hand and she saw the ring, the one Jace wore what felt like a long time ago. Her tears stopped and she intervened in the battle.

"Stop! Both you, stop! Luke the ring."

He didn't move so she grabbed his hand to get the ring out. She put it on her finger and entered in a connexion with the other wearer of the ring.

"Lucian?"

"It's Clary Fairchild."

There was a moment of silence before the voice spoke again. She couldn't recognize it, it was deeper than every voice she knew.

"Clary Fairchild. What a lovely surprise. I'm guess Lucian failed."

"I don't know you are or what you want but let me tell you something. We have a plan to stop this war, to stop it fast. If you cancel whatever you ordered Luke to do we will leave you alone."

A demonic laugh resonated in Clary's head.

"Ah, Clary, Clary. You still think you can save the world but guess what? You can't this time. I don't work for myself, I get my orders from Sammael who gets them from above. What Luke has to do has been decided from the lords."

The connection stopped. She looked at the two men in front of her.

"We do what we have to do. If it doesn't work Luke bring me to your commander. Let us try something first."

Luke nodded and Jace grabbed his arm and walked away.

"If you think I'm leaving you alone with Clary after what you did..."

Once everyone was in position, Cain screamed and they all activated their rune. The bright light shone on the cathedral and blinded them in the process. Clary fell on the floor and heard screaming are her.