Chapter 1

The next day I wake up in one of the beds in the infirmary. How did I get here? What is going on? I feel a tight grip on my hand and adjust my head to see Zach sitting in a chair beside me with his head resting on the edge of my bed. He feels the shift in my leg and wakes up.

"What's going on? Are you okay? Do you need something?" he looks so worried. Why does he look so worried? What is wrong with me? What happened?

"I'm fine"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. Zach why am I here?"

"You woke up again last night, only like  20 minutes later, but this time you were humming that awful song again, and started pulling every P&E move imaginable on me, and started yelling and screaming and crying. I tried to calm you down, but when I put my hand on your arm you got even more riled up. Then the girls woke up and Liz ran to get your mom. She came back with a doctor with a sedative and then I carried you over here. You could have stayed in your room, but they wanted to keep an eye on you in case you had another episode."

"I'm not crazy" I say, my voice hoarse.

"I know you aren't" He says, smoothing my hair with a soft hand on my head.

"I'm so sorry"

"It's okay Gallagher girl, really. I understand, and so does everybody else. You've been through more in the past year than most spies in their lfe." Then I notice the bruises lining his arms, a lightly shaded black eye, and an especially large one on his hairline.

"Oh my god Zach"

"What?"

"What happened to your head?" I gently place my hand on his cheek, and he places his hand over mine, keeping it there.

"Oh. Nothing"

"Zach." he gives me a look, and being the great spy that he is, I can't tell the thoughts rushing behind those stormy blue eyes. "I did this didn't I?" I say, my voice cracking. He gives me another look, and this time I don't need my elite spy training to know his expression. Yes. It was me. His eyes tell me without his mouth having to.

"How could I have done this?"

"I don't know Cam, but I've never seen you that way. Bex, Macey and I combined couldn't hold you down. It was like you were possessed."

"Not again"

"No. This is not the same as it was before. I think you're just having nightmares turned into anxiety attacks"

"I'm so sorry Zach"

"It's really okay, Gallagher girl. I'm just happy you're okay now. You had me really worried." he smiles at me.

"Are the others okay?"

"They're fine. I took all of it" he smirks at me, jokingly asking me for praise. I raise my eyebrows back. He moves to a different posisiton in his chair to be closer to me and winces.

"What is it? What else did I do?"

"Well you know that hook kick we've been working on in P&E?" I flinch. I couldn't have.

"Yeah"

"Well you did it perfectly. Luckily I jumped so you wouldn't hit my head but you hit a couple ribs really hard. He lifts his shirt up to reveal a massive purple bruise covering half of his right ribcage.

"Oh my god. I can't believe that I did that to you. How? I know that I could never do that while functioning properly, I mean you've seen me in P&E, I need a couple more days at least to muddle my way through it" He laughs at my sad atttempt at a joke.

"Well either way it was pretty impressive, you'll have to teach me, master. Even Bex can't do it yet." I smile at the thought.

"what time is it anyway?"

"About 7pm. They knocked you out with some pretty powerful sedatives, and then you wouldn't let go of my hand so" his stomach growls as if on cue. "I guess I'm just too irresistible to let go of" he smirks, and I roll my eyes at him.

"Oh shut up" Then I feel a pang in my stomach, and feel whatever I ate for dinner last night start to rise. "Zach" I choke out.

"What?" he asks, concerned. I make a gagging noise and he grabs the trash can from the side of my bed and holds it under me and I throw up everything that I ate. He holds it with one hand while the other rubs up and down my back sootingly. "It's okay Cam, it's okay. The doctor said that this could be a side effect of the drugs that they gave you. It's no big deal." I nod weakly and keep going. How many drugs did they give me?? I don't even know when I ate last. Once I'm done, I sit back in my bed feeling dizzy and lightheaded.

"I can't believe that on top of everything you saw that as well" I say, utterly mortified. "Why don't you just get a slideshow of the most embarrassing moments in my life and watch it. Oh wait, you don't need one because you see them anyway" a tear rolls down my cheek. Within seconds his hand is on my cheek, wiping it away, and then his thumb brushes back and forth on my cheekbone.

"Do you really think that I care?" he says. "Cam hand me that slideshow. I'll watch it a hundred times. Nothing is going to change how I feel about you. I'm glad that I get to be beside you when you need me, no matter what the circumstances are" I'll never know how I got so lucky as to get Zach Goode in my life, even when practically every single girl at the Gallagher Academy threw themselves at him.

I feel myself drifting off to sleep, still clutching his hand as he sits beside me, waiting for me to need something. Once my breathing slows, I can feel him start to detach his hand from mine. The poor guy, he hasn't eaten anything all day as far as I know. I know that I should let him go, but the selfish part of me can't.

"Zach" I croak. He jumps slightly, halfway to the door, obviously surprised that I'm still awake.

"Yes?"

"Will you stay with me? Please" I plead. "I can't sleep without you."

"Of course I will" he comes back and I grab his hand. I scooch over on the small hospital bed, and pat the empty space for Zach to lie next to me. I really can't sleep without his prescence. Without hesitation he lies down, wincing a few times as he tries to get himself confortable. He wraps an arm around my waist, and I drift off to sleep, inhaling his scent.