Chapter 5

As we walk into the grand hall, I feel the stares. All of them. How does everyone catch on so quickly? I look normal. Bex, Macey, Liz and I are an inseparable unit, so that's normal. Zach is missing. Of course that's who people notice. The boy who's constantly by my side is missing and people are going to start talking, I know they are. We sit down at our usualy seats at the bench and I've barely made it through a sausage before I get bombarded by Tina Walters. 

        "So Cammie, where's Zach this morning?" she starts in Cantonese, today's breakfast language. I knew I would get these questions but I didn't think that it would be so soon. 

        "I don't know"       

        "You don't know?" she asks, clearly puzzled. "But he's at your side 24/7, how could you not know?"

        "I just don't know Tina! Okay? What is so hard to believe about that. We don't share a room, we don't live on the same floor, I'm not his mother, I don't know where he is every second of every day" she is so agitating sometimes, and I know that I'm blowing my cool cover by getting irritated but I can't help it. 

        "So you two are fighting then?" How dare she but into my life like this. 

        "No what makes you say that?"

      "He's not here, you're angry, and you're eyes are puffy. I'm a spy Cammie, I can put 2 and 2 together"

        "Whatever is going on, if there even is anything Tina, is none of your business so I suggest that you but out right now unless you want to deal with me" Bex theatens. "Zach and Cammie have their own lives and have a right to privacy, okay?" Tina opens her mouth, but instead of her high pitched voice I hear a deep masculine one that I know to be Zach's. He slides into the seat next to me, as if nothing has happened. 

        "i heard my name?" he questions. 

        "Oh it's nothing Zach" Tina nervously squeaks, obviously flustered as Zach reaches out to hold my hand on top of the table. Oh hell no. He is not going to be all smooth and get things back to normal just like that. Without caring what everyone is going to say about it, I climb off of the bench and grab my backpack, purposely letting it hit Zach in the shoulder, causing him to wince. I almost feel bad until the situation enters my mind again. I storm out of the dining hall, leaving a bunch of open jaws I'm sure. I hear the squeak of sneakers on the floor behind me, and I hope with all of my might that it is Bex or Liz or Macey. Anyone but Zach. But this is me we're talking about. When have I ever gotten what I've wished for?

        "Cammie" I keep walking. 

        "Gallagher girl" I keep walking. 

        "At some point I'm going to stop chasing you, you know" I keep walking. I don't think about what his words truly mean. 

        "Cam slow. down." he says, and I hear running feet trying to close the gap between us. I'm only speed walking so it's not that hard. 

        ''CAMERON ANN MORGAN STOP WALKING RIGHT NOW AND LOOK AT ME" I don't know if it is the use of my full name or the fact that Zach is yelling at me. Yelling at me. Shouldn't I be yelling at him? He's never yelled at me before...

        "WHAT?" I yell back. Two can play this game. "Why should I talk to you?" I say, bringing the volume down a notch as to not bring rushing teachers to our spot in the hallway, but still yelling. 

        "You know what Cameron? I'm getting pretty damn sick of this" What? What's that supposed to mean? Why is he using my full name? 

        "Of what? What do you have to be mad at me about?" What is going on here? I really don't understand.