Chapter 9

As Zach and I walk to my moms office that night, he looks so nervous it makes me smile. 

        "Just a quick warning" I say. "Only take a small portion of food and just try to swallow it. We'll grab a real dinner from the dining hall afterwards since this doesn't usually run that late and it's a Friday, so the caf is open late"  he smiles nervously at me. 

        "Got it" he says as I knock on the door. I look at what he's wearing- pants, a button up, and perfectly combed hair, and then look at what I'm wearing, yoga pants, his hoodie, and a messy bun, and smile at how nervous he was before hand. He may be a cocky son of a bitch a lot of the time (his mother really is a bitch, you can take my word for it), but underneath he's a caring guy who wants to make good impressions. He couldn't have been more mortified at our earlier encounter with my mom. He vowed to me that he'd never have his shirt off in public on school grounds ever again, a rule that I vetoed immediately. 

        "Come in" we hear from inside and I push open the door. We're immediately greeted by smoke coming out of the microwave and I tense at the smell. Pizza. Burnt pizza actually. Well at least it was slightly edible tonight. "sit down sit down" she says and we take seats on the couch opposite her chair on the other side of the small table. She puts the plate down in front of us, and surprisingly it doesn't look too bad. She sits down across from us. 

        "How was your day?" she asks us. 

        "very relaxing actually after the workout. We just watched movies all day. I feel like my body is going to fall apart though" I say, smiling. Zach nods in agreement. 

        "What are you agreeing to Zach? That we had a relaxing day, or that I'm so tired I'm going to fall apart?" I say jokingly. 

        "Both" he says nonchalantly, then he smriks and I gently nudge his shoulder with mine. My mom laughs along with us. 

        "Look you two, I'm just going to get to the point so that we can enjoy the rest of our dinner" she says. Uh oh. Zach and I share a look of panic. "So first off you must know that no one is happier about this relationship than me" she starts. This can't be good. "But it's come to my attention that you haven't been in your room at lights out very often over the past few weeks Cammie" 

        "Um, how did you know?" 

        "I'm a spy Cammie, and we also have your room under high surveilance after the first incident" she says, sympathetically looking at Zach, who still has a brusie covering his ribcage. I almost started crying earlier today when I saw it in the light. It really is massive, but it didn't look like he was in too much pain anymore. He was working out fine for the first time since. 

        "Look mom-" I start. 

        "I was young once too, guys, I know the way things go, but Cammie, as I am your mother, and Zach since you don't really have any parents, and this school doesn't have a conventional health class, I need to take it upon myself to say this" Oh dear god no. I couldn't think of a worse conversation to be having. I'd rather be taking a final than this. 

        "Mom please stop it" she ignores me though. Zach looks like he's about to be sick. 

        "Look, I know what it's like to be young and in love, but you can't afford to be reckless, especially in our line of work. I'm sure that you've heard the 'be safe' talk many times, but you really need to be careful. Cammie, you're 17 years old, and personally I don't think that you're ready to be doing such things, but I cannot control everything in your life" 

        "MOM" I say, turning bright red. I join Zach in the I-think-I'm-gonna-be-sick look. 

      "And Zach, I don't know what your, uh, sexual history is, and I'm in no place to know, but you're dating my daughter so first and foremost I am her mother and not your headmistress" If he wasn't as polite as he was, I think that he would walk out. "I know you've been spending your nights and days in Zach's room Cammie, and for privacy regulations I cannot install cameras in his room. Zach at this point in your relationship you must already be aware that Cammie is a virgin-" she really has no shame, does she?