Chapter 8

"Professor? Can I ask you about... Nifflers?"

"Miss Jackson, this lesson is about murtlaps-"

"Look, I want to borrow Madam Rakepick's niffler-"

"For the vaults, I suppose? Sure, I can ask her. You have Herbology next, right?"

"Yep."

"Ask Professor Sprout about some herbs that nifflers eat."

"Why?"

"You'll find out soon enough."
************************************
After Herbology, Dani hung back and walked up to Professor Sprout. "Excuse me, but do you happen to have herbs for nifflers?"

"Why are you asking?"

"It's for the vaults, professor."

"...Alright. I have a batch, but Hagrid needs some for his pets. I was about to meet him in the courtyard to pass them off."

"I can help you with that."
************************************
"Yer thinkin' abou' takin' care o' Sickleworth?" asked Hagrid in his usual boom.

"Yep. We need him to find a ruby arrowhead for a centaur."

"I can help yeh with him, if yeh dun mind."

"Of course. I need all the help I can get here-I've never had a proper pet in my life."
************************************
A few days later, after class, Dani went to meet Kettleburn and Rakepick at the Care of Magical Creatures grove. She'd gotten an owl that morning, and was actually a bit excited.

"Look, Miss Jackson," said Rakepick. "I'll allow you to keep Sickleworth as long as you need-but Professor Kettleburn here suggested to let you actually take care of him."

"Nothing I can't handle," said Dani. "I've already talked to Hagrid, and he's agreed to help. Plus I'll have plenty of time during the holidays."

"Perfect," grinned Rakepick. "He's yours for now."

"Chik chik chik!" the small niffler sang excitedly, doing a cute dance.

"Alright, little guy," cooed Dani. "Ready to look for rubies?"