Chapter 15

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS MILD VIOLENCE.
"Alright, our game plan is set," smiled Dani. She was in the courtyard with Charlie the night before they planned to enter the vault. "We're bringing Bill and Hagrid, and Torvus will meet us in the forest grove."

"Say, did it take a lot of effort to convince Hagrid to come crack the vault with us? I mean, I've heard he has experience handling acromantulas, but he always seems to be rather wary of our vault business."

"He was at first... Until I cleaned up his hut's bundimum infestation he's been struggling with since forever. And I don't want to do that ever again, thank you."

"It's like you read my mind, I was about to ask if you could help out around our house this summer. Anyway-"

"PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Charlie's arms and legs snapped together and he tumbled into the fountain. Dani reacted immediately, looked around for Charlie's attacker with her hand on her wand.

And there they were, in their crimson cloak, the mysterious R.

"DEPULSO!"

"PROTEGO! BOMBARDA!"

"PROTE-"

Dani realized that her timing was off and that she was going to get hit. She tried to duck behind one of the pillars of the fountain, but nearly slipped in her hurry, flinging her wand back into the vicinity of the fountain.

"I told you death was coming to Hogwarts, Danielle Jackson. PETRIFICUS-"

"BOMBARDA!"

R was knocked back as Rakepick, who'd just shown up at the entrance of the courtyard, cast the exploding charm on them. Dani took the time to whirl around and pick up her sopping wand from the fountain. "FINITE INCANTATEM!"

Charlie pulled himself up. "Ugh... What just happened, Dani?"

"R ambushed us," said Dani. "Rakepick has them, though."

Charlie and Dani climbed out of the fountain, both soaking wet, and went to the corner where Rakepick had dragged R. "Now for the big one. HOMENUM REVELIO!"

The dark red robe faded away to reveal someone. Someone Dani knew.

Ben Copper.

"BEN!" Dani shrieked.

"Dude, I can't believe you!" exclaimed Charlie.

"Wha-what did I do?" stammered Ben.

"Quit that innocent, scaredy-cat facade, Ben... Or should I call you R?"

"Bu-Dani, I'm not R and you know it?"

"You were dressed in a red robe until only moments ago, just like R! You attacked me and Charlie!"

"I... I didn't! There's just no way I did! The last thing I remember was leaving the great hall after dinner!"

"Cut-"

Dani suddenly remembered what Alex had told her about unforgivable curses as a child. There was this one call the im-whatever curse, and I was supposed to mind-control someone or something. She asked Rakepick about this, and Rakepick decided to send Ben to the hospital wing for now, but keep an eye on him in the future. In the meantime, she got the other two students to return to the Gryffindor common room for the night.

As they went down the lower floor corridor, Charlie asked Dani, "You don't seriously think Ben is R, don't you?"

"Of course I don't... But Rakepick's right. We can't let our guard down."