Chapter Four

(Y/N’s POV)

"지금 곁에서 딴 생각에 잠겨
(jigeum gyeoteseo ttan saenggage jamgyeo)
걷고 있는 그대
(geotgo issneun geudae)
설레는 마음에 몰래
(seolleneun maeume mollae)
그대 모습 바라보면서
(geudae moseup barabomyeonseo)
내안에 담아요
(naeane damayo)"

‘That’s it’, I thought to myself. ‘Just sing your heart out until it’s over. You’ve prepared for this. It’s too late to back out and ruin the entire thing.’

"사랑이겠죠 또 다른 말로는
(sarangigessjyo tto dareun malloneun)
설명할 수 없죠
(seolmyeonghalsu eopsjyo)
함께 걷는 이 길 다시
(hamkke geotneun i gil dasi)
추억으로 끝나지않게
(chueogeuro kkeutnajianhge)
꼭 오늘처럼 지켜갈께요
(kkok oneulcheoreom jikyeogalkkeyo)"

It’s almost over! In the middle of my performance, the lights dimmed a bit. I could see the panel. 3racha were really sitting there, and so was Hyeri.

I tried to study their expressions, to see if I was doing alright or not. Chan looked distracted, Changbin wore a blank face, and Hyeri was looking down at god knows what. Then there’s Jisung, whose face I couldn’t read.

"사랑한다는 그 말 아껴둘 걸 그랬죠
(saranghandaneun geu mal akkyeodul geol geuraessjyo)
이젠 어떻게 내 맘 표현해야 하나
(ijen eotteohge nae mam pyohyeonhaeya hana)
모든 것이 변해가도
(modeun geosi byeonhaegado)
이 맘으로 그대 사랑할게요
(i mameuro geudae saranghalgeyo)"

I finally finished the song without messing up… I think.

I quickly got out of the stage and staggered into the backstage. I felt drained and disheartened.

“What did I do wrong? Did I mess up? Am I going to fail another screening again?” I mumbled to myself as I paced back and forth.

Looking at the people around me, I realized they only minded themselves. Some were practicing, some were also worrying for their performance, but why does it feel like I was the only one who didn’t do well enough to pass?

(Changbin’s POV)

The screening was finally over around 8 pm. To say it was tiring would be a great understatement.

Out of 75 recruits, only 20 passed. As rough as it sounds, the music industry doesn’t play around. They all had potentials, however, it wasn’t enough.

We didn’t stay behind for the announcement. We’d see them tomorrow anyway.

“Ah, I’m hungry.” I whined as the three of us stepped into the studio.

“Should we go out drinking?” Jisung suggested cheekily, earning a slap on the back of the head from Chan. I snickered as he winced in pain.

“You’re not even 21 yet,” he countered, sitting down on the couch. “Don’t be so cheeky.”

Jisung groaned. “Come on! I’m turning 21 in just a few months. Can’t you just let me start drinking now?”

“No.” Chan and I declared in unison.

Jisung was silent after that and thought to himself. “Don’t you guys want BBQ?”

“Well, BBQ sounds good.” Chan replied, standing up. “Let’s go. I’m starving."

(Y/N’s POV)

“To Y/N!” Hyunjin, my cousin, cheered as we clinked our glasses together.

After hearing the news that I passed, Hyunjin and Soyeon rushed to see me. They insisted on celebrating, that’s why we ended up at a BBQ restaurant.

“Ah, Y/N,” Hyunjin said after gulping down his drink. “How many screening have you been to and failed?”

“It doesn’t matter now. She finally passed!”

I narrowed my eyes at the both of them. “You guys are acting like it’s a huge miracle or something.”

“It is,” Soyeon stated with a smile. “All years of practicing has finally paid off. You’re finally going to be a singer.”

“I’m still a trainee, okay? Don’t get too excited.”

We continued to eat, drink and laugh at random stories. For sure, this was the best day ever.

It didn’t take too long when a new set of costumers came in. Not just any costumers, though. It was 3Racha.

(Jisung’s POV)

“I told you, I can handle my booze.” I insisted as we walked inside the restaurant.

“How many times do we have to tell you, you can’t drink. Not yet.” Changbin reprimanded.

Ah, this is frustrating.

I looked around the place and immediately saw a familiar face. It was the girl who sang ‘The Road To Me’. It was a beautiful song and it suited her perfectly. I thought it was an angel who was singing.

“Hey, look!” I exclaimed, pointing at their direction. “It’s recruit number 57.” I waved at her, but in return she hid under the table. Huh, weird.

“Oh, crazy fangirl.” Chan deadpanned, looking straight at her.

“What?” Changbin and I synced.

Chan walked up towards their table and we followed him like lost puppies.

Crazy fangirl? What’s he talking about?