A Voice Not Found

With the vast noise that is this suppressing world, there once came about a girl who never learned how to speak. She was exceptional at observing the world around her. In silence, she studied the veins within decaying leaves, and the formation of ice crystals in falling snowflakes. Her ears were sharp, and her eyes were wide. From afar, she listened to the laughter of others, watching their bodies convulse with life. She pondered how these noises were able to gurgle within the human throat.
   Her own throat was a funny thing. Stale saliva took the place of opinions and expression. Her tongue would burn by the heat of her contained breath. She would touch her jugular from time to time, wondering if cutting it open would allow the words to flow out. She found peace of mind by taking long drives in the evening. The blanketed darkness was the only suppression she enjoyed. It was natural and acceptable. She would leave her windows down, listening to the melody of the night.
   As the years passed by, she began to rot in her own skin, aching to connect with others. The silence burdened her. How loud the world was, and all she could do was listen. She longed to reach out, aching to articulate what swelled inside of her. She could no longer find joy in her nighttime drives. Instead, the crickets and the bats made her ears bleed. Everything had a noise except for her.
   One evening, her knuckles turned white as her fingers coiled around the steering wheel. She gritted her teeth. As the flavor of enamel and blood filled her mouth, a moment of frustration overtook her. Desperation. Yearning. Something new was erupting from within her burning stomach. A guttural scream shredded her underdeveloped vocal chords. Her foot came crashing down on the gas pedal as her lips twitched with rage.
   Within a bought of twisted metal and fire, she painted the earth with her body. The reds and the pinks that she couldn't express before, now unraveled. Sparks flared, and metal buckled. Car parts warped into extravagant, contemporary art. Through glass shards and blood, her eyes welled with jovial tears. A soft smile stretched across her deteriorating face. The night was illuminated with her first and final expression.
   She was filled with joy, she was finally able to communicate. The echo of her voice faded into the deaf atmosphere with the sent of her burning flesh.