𝘈𝘶𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘺

──── ────

After the Southern War, the surviving leader of the Shadowhart forces, a man named Kael, had disappeared. Some claimed he had been assassinated while some claimed he had gone mad and lived alone after murdering his two sons. Only last night had an owl arrived at the castle with a letter from Kael, claiming he was coming to visit under peace terms, no exceptions. The Battle of Bloodfield Bay two years prior had resulted in thousands of casualties. But it had not been the end; Kael's survival could still tip the balance of power.

For the sake of chivalry and honour, Lucian was obliged to humour Kael. That put Lucian in a foul mood, making him bark at anyone who came too close and lashing out if anyone dared to annoy him. He had snapped at Audrey for inquiring about Annalee's absence, telling her to dress without acknowledging the question.

"I don't trust this man," Lucian told Adina while Audrey listened from under a staircase, a basket of candles on one arm. "He has tried to take the crown before, and I am no fool. We both know we cannot risk another war; the Southern War has already split our family and killed many innocents."

Already split our family. Audrey knew he didn't just mean Thomas' death. When Lucian, as heir, had passed the Southern throne to Emelyn upon the death of his parents, he had angered his other siblings. Damek Westerling and Dinah Eternel no longer held a clear alliance to Lucian, and their children had split between the two sides of Shadowhart and Everwood.

"We'll get him this time, love," Adina reassured Lucian before touching him gently on the arm, kissing him on the cheek, and walking off. Lucian sighed, touched his cheek, then went the opposite direction.

Once the area was clear, Audrey took her basket of candles and walked into the gardens, desperately breathing in the cool, spring air. Kael had killed her brother, and she missed him so—

"You are holding the bow the wrong way around!" someone snapped loudly, and she turned to see Will by the archery butts, teaching a young squire. His white hair and loud voice were easily recognisable, and she almost smiled.

"No, I am not," the squire insisted stubbornly, looking ridiculous with the string pointed towards the target and the wooden grip by his chest. "Look, I can still fire arrows!"

He tried to shoot the arrow, but it just fell to the floor at his feet.

"And the point of firing those arrows is to actually hit the target!" Will snatched the bow from the squire's hands and fired an arrow, hitting the bullseye.

"Stop telling me what to do! I can do it myself." The squire sniffed and took the bow back.

"Then teach yourself archery, you insolent little..." Will began before the squire cheekily hit him with the upper limb of the bow.

Audrey smiled then, watching as Will grabbed the boy by his collar to keep him still.

"You are annoying," Will said. "I respect that sometimes, but you have just taken annoying to a whole new level. If you want to become an archer, stop being such a little prick, start holding the bow the right way around, and..."

"Fuck you," the squire grinned, noticing Audrey watching.

"Are you even listening?!?"

"I don't think he is, but I am." Audrey spoke behind Will, and the squire laughed.

Will let the boy go and they watched as he ran off, sticking his tongue out once he was far enough that Will couldn't touch him.

Will looked very tempted to make a vulgar gesture back.