𝘌𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘥

──── ────

She was writing a letter to Adebiyi in her room to negotiate more soldiers when Lady Hill stormed in, her face red.

"You have been brainwashing the king!" Lady Hill accused.

Ethelind smiled calmly, throwing up a wall of coolness to hide her annoyance at the intrusion. She would have to talk to her guards later to make sure they didn't let people in without telling her first. "How?"

"He claims to not have time anymore, and it is your fault!" Lady Hill pointed a finger at her. "They still haven't found my Luella and hung the archer who kidnapped her!"

If she were not a powerful woman of fifty with vast lands and estates, Ethelind would have been laughing.

"Excuse me for asking, but can you please explain what you are accusing me of doing?"

Lady Hill stormed over and ripped the letter Ethelind was writing to shreds. Ethelind could not contain her surprise and felt her jaw clench slightly. Lady Hill reeked of entitlement.

"See? The all smug Ethelind can feel emotion," Lady Hill hissed.

She moved to leave, but Ethelind sprung up and stepped in front before she could.

"My advice for you is to withdraw your soldiers from the castle and leave," Ethelind said lowly.

"Too late," Lady Hill said. "Soon, I will oversee two castles. Then three. Then four. I already have Ardensford and soon Landon must give me more."

"Is greed any less of a downfall than arrogance?" Ethelind asked her.

She opened the door and slammed it in Lady Hill's face once she had left, nose upturned and her manner haughty. After shoving down her bitter anger, Ethelind moved over to her pile of unopened letters. She picked up the one on top and began to read.

Dear Lady Eternel,

I am writing to you in desperation. I need to borrow money

Ethelind tossed it into the fire unfinished before standing and pacing, unable to stay still. After a while, she couldn't stand keeping to herself anymore and made her way over to Landon's chambers, being permitted after knocking twice. Landon was leaning against the headboard of his bed, a lute on his lap and his fingers straying up and down the strings, playing scales. The sweet sound filled the quiet room, the gentle twang of strings soothing and hypnotising.

"My king." Ethelind curtseyed, watching the way his fingers glided across the strings.

"What is it?" Landon stopped playing and met her eyes. She shut the door before taking a seat by the hearth, turning it to face the bed.

"I advise you to build your navy." Ethelind was direct.

"Why?" Landon arched an eyebrow at her. He was calm, but Ethelind knew how easily his coldness could creep in.

"Your Grace, I believe we should try raiding the South," Ethelind recommended.

Landon smiled. He never moved once to present himself in a more formal manner except for setting the lute to his side. "Lady Hill whispers one thing into my ear. You whisper another. Then Jasper just says 'kill 'em all'. The games you all play between each other are most amusing."

"And what is Lady Hill telling you?"

"You want to know everything. You seem to believe you are my regent."

"I am but a humble adviser, my king."

"I don't believe you for a second." Landon finally stood and walked over to a bundle of blankets where Hunter slept. He knelt by the fox and scratched him behind the ears. "My father gave me this fox because he thought it would soften me if I could train it." He turned. "He didn't think I could, and I did. Have I changed because of this one animal? No."