07: THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF OUR LIVES

REST OF OUR LIVES
by: bombardamaxima (ao3)
r+e

Richie paced around his bedroom floor, muttering pieces of his Valedictorian speech that wouldn't stick into his head

Richie paced around his bedroom floor, muttering pieces of his Valedictorian speech that wouldn't stick into his head. He had his scarlet gown lying nicely on his bed, freshly dry cleaned thanks to his best friend Eddie, and his cap resting on top of it. Richie was about to make one more run through of his speech before there was a a soft rapping on his door.

"Come in," Richie said, his voice shaky and nervous as he clutched his speech, scrawled on a napkin in purple Bic ink in neat handwriting.

A head of dark hair poked in through his door for a moment before the small boy belonging to the head ran and and wrapped his thin, tan arms around Richie's waist.

"Nice to see you too, Eds," Richie joked, his heart racing even faster as he hugged his friend back.

Eddie looked up at him, his chocolate, puppy dog eyes sparkling as his soft pink lips tugged into a smile. "I'm so proud of you, Rich."

"For what?" Richie choked out as Eddie's hands settled low in the side of his hips, his fingers playing with the belt loops on his black dress pants.

"You've worked so hard to be the best in our class and you did it!" Eddie exclaimed, throwing his hands up and around Richie's shoulders to hug him once again, although he had to stand on his tippy toes since he was a good head shorter than Richie.

Richie could feel his heart swell at the praise and he hugged his friend back, his long fingers winding through Eddie's hair, which had begun to curl up as he let it grow out. Richie melted into the hug as Eddie squeezed him even tighter, Richie's hands trailing down Eddie's back in feather-light grazes until he reached the waistband of Eddie's pants. Before Richie could move any further, the door to his bedroom swung open, the entire Loser's Club standing in the doorway with bright smiles in their nicest clothes.

The two boys pulled away quickly, each one of them running a shaky hand through their own mop of dark, curly hair, a nervous smile settling on their faces.

"R-ready to go, R-rich?" Bill asked, his hand settling on his boyfriend Stan's khaki covered waist.

"Yeah," Richie breathed out, surprised at how steady his voice was.

"Then let's go!" Bev said excitedly, running in and grabbing Richie and Eddie's hands and leading them out of the room.

***

"I can't believe we did it!" Richie sighed happily as he flopped down onto the mattress of his bed. "We graduated!"

"Y-Yeah, and now we're adults," Bill reminded.

Richie's smile faded for a second before Eddie flopped down onto his bed beside him.

"Well, we can still be kids for tonight," Bev said, setting a bottle of vodka, a tray of lemons, and a bottle of whiskey on the floor where her, Bill, Stan, Mike, and Ben sat. "Adulting can start tomorrow."