16: A CHRISTMAS GIFT

by: bebe8s (ao3)
r+e

"I'm sorry, you invited how many people over for Christmas dinner?? " Eddie asked incredulously

"I'm sorry, you invited how many people over for Christmas dinner?? " Eddie asked incredulously. Richie just gave him an innocent look before mumbling, "Fourteen."

"Richie! Christmas is in literally two days . You cannot just spring that on me!"

"I don't know if they're all coming, so it could be less?" Richie said, trying to ease the situation.

"That just makes it worse! How do I prepare for an unknown number of people? It was just supposed to be us and the rest of the Losers!"

"Well, I know, but my assistant was going to be all alone, so I invited him. And then my manager said he and his wife had nowhere to go, and then-"

"I love you for having such a big heart, but I hate you for this," Eddie said softly, wrapping his arms around Richie's neck and staring up at him.

"I can tell the other people that we miscalculated and can't fit them. Really, it's my fault," Richie said. He felt bad for springing this upon Eddie so close to Christmas.

"No, no, no. Don't do that. It will be fine. You just have to actually help ."

Richie nodded and leaned down to press a chaste kiss to Eddie's forehead.

---

And that's how Richie found himself exhausted on Christmas, desperately waiting for this dinner to be over. He had been up all day cooking with Eddie, and it was quite a draining task. Richie had learned that mashed potatoes were not as easy to make as he thought, and that Eddie's delicious mac and cheese does not just make itself. Honestly, the whole illusion of Christmas has been ruined for him at this point.

Now he was seated at the table, Eddie on one side, his manager, Kevin, on the other. Everyone was telling stories, their dinner finished long ago. And Richie was finishing his third glass of eggnog, which probably wasn't the brightest idea. But as he drained the glass, he reached forward to grab the pitcher for a refill.

He was downright giggly at this point, loudly telling stories that made Eddie's cheek go bright red. He had just opened his mouth, starting up the story about the time he accidentally got a butt plug stuck up Eddie's ass, but Eddie cut him off before he could even get more than a sentence out.

"You are not telling that story!" Eddie said with his palm clapped over Richie's mouth. Richie just maneuvered his head so that he could suck Eddie's pointer finger into his mouth. This earned him a swat, but all he gave back was a wink.

"Alright, just how much eggnog have you had? " Eddie snapped at him. There was still love in his voice, though.

"Maybe a lot," Richie said with a grin, bringing his glass back up to his mouth.