43: I TURN MY CAMERA ON

by: omnipculaz (ao3)
r+e

Richie's cleaning jizz off his camera lens when the new guy walks in

Maturin is a small company, so of course he'd heard that they were signing someone new. Someone with a reputation in the business, who might bring in new viewers and nab them more attention when it came to awards season. He hadn't paid that much attention to the workplace gossip of it, certainly not enough to speculate on who the new hire is. It had briefly crossed his mind that it's probably someone he's jerked off to before, but given that he works for a porn production company, that isn't exactly a jaw-dropper.

Eddie Keller is, though.

"I know, right?" Adrian laughs, clapping Richie on the shoulder. It startles Richie into closing his mouth, which had actually fallen open at the sight of Bev walking by with the spicy little twink who'd won Best New Performer at the AVN Awards two years ago. "Talk about left field. I heard he was shopping around, but didn't know he was looking for something like this." Richie finally manages to tear his eyes away from Eddie's ass as Adrian shrugs off the robe he'd thrown on after he blew his load. "Anyway, I'm good to keep going now. You got the camera clean?"

"Yeah." His voice comes out oddly hoarse, but he shoves Adrian back toward the bedroom set where a sweaty Don is passing a bottle of water off to a PA. "Get back to work, and watch your aim this time, spunky."

Richie has been punching the clock at Maturin almost since the get-go. He and Bev had been roommates when they first moved to LA, back when Bev was still filming casting couch videos and trying to get producers to take her seriously. After another mediocre gangbang video full of oiled up jocks, and a few too many margaritas, Richie had jokingly suggested Bev open her own studio. Be the boss she wanted to have, make the videos she wanted to see, hire the people she wanted to work with. And now, seven years on, they have a great thing going.

What makes Maturin different from other porn companies is the culture. To work at Maturin, you have to fit into the tight-knit group of people who run it. Everybody pitches in—most of the on-screen talent do crew duties when they aren't scheduled to film. You work with who you want to work with, in ways that make you comfortable, and everyone gets treated with respect. It's as close to porn heaven as Richie thinks it's possible to get. He loves working with his best friends, thinks nothing of getting his camera lens all up in their junk and offering constructive criticism on where to best aim a come shot. Editing the videos is one of his favourite parts, getting the shots right and making things flow. It scratches a creative itch he never realized he had until Bev handed him a camera.

Because of all that, they're all more than a little protective of Maturin. They're picky with who they hire. Everyone who signs with them signs an exclusivity contract waiving the right to film for any other company or individual who might offer. They're stringent with their testing to the point that they won't sign anyone who can't hand over a clean bill of health at the drop of a hat. The interview process is lengthy, since Bev has to be sure you'll mesh before she'll sign you. If Eddie Keller's here now, that means he's almost through the hoops. He's getting the tour today, he'll be dragged out to hang with them all tonight. If he passes that last hurdle, she'll hand him a contract.