24: BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

by: itchytoaster (ao3)
m+s

24: BETTER LATE THAN NEVERby: itchytoaster (ao3)m+s

"Happy Valentine's Day, Mike!"

"Thanks, Leigh. See you next week!" Mike called over his shoulder with a smile as he left the office. Finally, he was free of dust-covered books and antiquities. Even though he tried to get off work at a decent time on a Friday, his boss refused.

The street lamps illuminated the trees above him. He couldn't help but smile as he picked out the stars that decorated the sky. It was so rare to find a tranquil beauty in the city that had a horrible case of insomnia.

"Move out the way!"

Mike was quickly pushed to the edge of the sidewalk, luckily catching himself before he fell into the street. He huffed, scowling at the man who shoved him aside. If it was one thing he despised about New York, it was the blatant aggressive behavior. He sighed, looking for an open cab before glancing at his watch.

"Oh shit. " Just an hour before midnight. He rushed down the street, praying he'd be able to find a taxi to get him home in time. From the look of the streets, and the never-ending sea of people, Mike knew getting home by cab was going to be miserable, and just the thought of calling an Uber made his wallet wail in pain. He promised Stanley that they'd spend Valentine's day together, even if it was just for an hour before the clock struck into the next day.

Mike chewed on the inside of his cheek trying to think in the hustle and bustle around him. His phone began ringing.

"Hey, Dove. You almost home?"

Mike smiled on reflex, the sound of his fiance making him instantly happier. "Uh..." He looked around the option of finding a quick way home near impossible. "Not really." He confessed, frowning at the noise of disappointment that came from Stanley.

"Baby, we promised..."

"I know, Lamb, I know." Just the sound of disappointment in his fiance's voice made him want to cuss his boss out for making him stay late. "I'm sorry, traffic is a damn nightmare." Mike looked around, the noise somehow amplified as he spoke to his fiance.

"Everything okay?"

"I'm okay, Lamb." Mike's voice was soft, filled with a little laugh. "Don't worry, I'll be home soon enough."

"Okay, but hurry, or I'll drink this whole bottle and fall right to sleep." Stanley hummed, and Mike could practically hear the cheeky smile in his voice.

"You've been talking a big game about this 'surprise', Uris. It better live up to the hype." Mike chuckled.

"Oh, I think it will. When have I ever been one to disappoint?"