You Would Not Believe Your Eyes

<Be Karkat>

It had been a while since Dave and I had gone to fix Kankri's disaster of a not-a-relationship relationship. Nothing too interesting had happened and there were only a few weeks left in the break. It felt like so much had happened in such a little amount of time, yet somehow, there still wasn't enough.

Looking up towards the intricately carved wood above my head, I sighed and stretched my legs out in front of me. I had been sitting on the front stoop while everyone else ran around like idiots in the sand. They made no attempts to get me to join them, but I didn't mind. I didn't want to be in the water or in the sunlight, for that matter.

"Hey, Karks!" Dave jogged up to where I was and grinned at me. He looked like such a child. It was adorable.

"WHAT DO YOU NEED?" I sighed and rolled my head on my shoulders a bit.

"Can you snag me a towel? Eridan said there should be some in the-"

"YES DAVE, I KNOW WHERE THE TOWELS ARE."

I stood up from my spot and poked one of his dimples before giggling and heading into the house. After looking through the closet in the hallway, I returned to the porch with one of Ampora's insanely soft and probably expensive towels. It didn't surprise me. His cape probably cost more than my damn house did.

Dave took it from me and kissed the back of my hand gently, "Thanks, Kitten, you're a doll."

I watched him dry his face for a moment before sitting back down and grabbing onto a piece of driftwood that I had found a few days before whilst wandering around the shoreline. Fidgeting with it, I examined the smooth surface and hummed a bit. Dave sat down next to me after a bit and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Why don't you ever come with us?"

"HM?"

"I mean, you don't really spend any time with the rest of us. You just sit right here or grab a towel and sit on the sand, watching us. Is there a reason?"

I shrugged and leaned my head to the side, pressing my temple against his forehead. "i don't have a reason... i just don't like being in water."

He must have sensed that I was getting defensive because he asked, "Don't like being in the water, or don't know how to swim?"

I flushed and lightly rammed my elbow into his stomach, causing him to grunt and recoil, grimacing. He tried to chuckle, but no sound came out so he just sat there for a moment.

"Well, I guess I have my answer then, huh?" he smiled at me and kissed my cheek, "my little kitten doesn't know how to swim~"

"HOLD ON! WHEN THE *HELL* DID I EVER SAY THAT I DIDN'T KNOW HOW??"

"Dude, your silence speaks volumes," he mumbled and kissed my cheek, "I can show you how if you want..."

"UM, NO THANK YOU."

"C'mon, it'll be fun."

"I SAID NO."

"..."

"Please?" he lowered his head and let me see his pathetic-ass facial expression.

"EVEN IF I DID SAY YES, WHAT THE HELL WOULD I DO IT IN? FUCKING JEANS AND A SWEATER?"

He shrugged, "People swim without clothes."

"HELL NO."

"Awww Karks. You're no fun."

"DO YOU WANT ME TO HIT YOU AGAIN?"

He pouted, but stopped speaking. Eventually, he went back to just leaning on my shoulder and I kissed the top of his head quickly. Shoving him away once I remembered that we were out in the open, I cleared my throat, "YOU SMELL LIKE SALT AND DEAD FISH."