Chapter 29: Here We Go Again

Margaret and I started to live together a week after my 27th birthday. I also brought her to our house in Toronto to meet my parents. She still works at Tim Hortons during the day and works as a waitress at night. I still pursued my dream and will also graduate after a month.

One day, while putting Margaret's clothes in the dresser, I noticed a familiar necklace. I know that it wasn't hers and I didn't buy that too but it's really familiar and I don't know where I saw it. So I took it and showed it to her.

"Oh! That one is a remembrance." She said

"From whom?"

"From a nice girl last week. Actually, she even told me that she'd love to go back next year."

"Go back?"

"Yeah. She's a foreigner but she's fluent in French. Remember Jed? My co barista from Quebec? They talked a lot."

"Do you remember her name?"

"Actually, I don't but I remember her face. She's pretty. Why?"

"This one's familiar."

"She's actually Latina."

I stared at the necklace again trying to remember where I saw it. It's silver with a heart pendant. Well, nothing is unique with it so maybe I just saw it in the mall or somewhere.

My phone vibrated because I received a message from Nanay. She said, "We have to go to Philippines ASAP. Your Aunt Nina died today."

I told Margaret about what happened and she felt sorry for me.

Aunt Nina was Tatay's youngest sister. I have a lot of memories with her because she was a cool aunt.

Margaret told me that she can't be with me because of her two jobs and I told her that it's fine. She helped me pack my things and I drove to Toronto.

Ike booked tickets for us and we're going to stay there for four days. I comforted Tatay and stayed the night with him.

We eventually drove to the airport when morning came and after 15 hours, we arrived in Manila. Uncle Dino picked us up.

Manila's traffic jam annoys me a lot but of course, I have to resist it. I was there for my aunt and we traveled thousand miles for a very important reason.

Everyone was asleep except for me so I asked Uncle Dino about Aunt Nina. He told me that she died because of hypertension. It happened too fast. It's still early for her. She's just 39. To change the mood, Uncle Dino asked me about school. I told him that I'm doing great and I'll graduate soon.

"Naalala mo si Allison? Schoolmate mo dati tapos pinsan ni Estela?" he asked

Here we go again. Allison again.

"Ah opo."

"Nagtitake na ng law. Nakakatuwa nga e."

"Good for her"

It's funny that whatever I do, Allie will always be connected to me. It's like we're running in circles and even if we rest for a bit, we're still in the same circle.

I realized that there's a chance for me to meet Allie in the funeral. Our families are connected. Damn.