Chapter Two- The Beginning of the End

Present times

I ran down the hall right into Rick's room. I swung open the door shutting it quickly. Shane was standing there with his chest heaving. He was trying to get Rick up.

"The hell are you doing here!" I yelled at him and walked over to the same side of the room as him. He was trying to pull his monitor off.

"We have to take him with us." Shane was focused on his task and I put my hand on his chest and shook my head.

"Shane. You realize that we won't be able to live and get him out right?" I looked at Shane bringing his attention to me. He looked worried. Like he hadn't felt this way before.

"You're rig-" The door swung open and Shane pulled me to the ground. We hid behind Rick who was laying on the bed breathing in and out. The door quickly closed and the panic in Shane reached a peak. "We need to go now."

"We can figure out a way to lock the door. No one in no one out until Rick wakes up." I smiled half heartedly. Shane ran a hand through his hair while I peeked out the door. The swat team was rounding the corner. They finished searching the wing. I opened the door and Shane followed me. He pulled a bed in front of the door butted flush against the wall.

"This way." Shane grabbed my hand and lead me out of the hospital so we weren't seen. Shane jumped into his Jeep and I ran to my car searching it for my gun. Once I had my essentials I jumped into his Jeep with him. We drove to Lori's house, as fast as we could. "They get their shit and we leave. Get the food for her and- if she asks about Rick. He's dead. You just happened to be down the road on the way here."

"Shane, she should understand what's going on. We-" I took a deep breath and shook my head, quickly just nodding. We both got out and walked into the house. He went upstairs and I walked to the kitchen. "Lori!"

"Yes!" Lori calmed from the living room. She was watching the news. "What's going on?"

"The city isn't safe anymore. We need to go. You need to pack what you can carry and we're leaving." I opened the drawer with the house gun and quickly checked it. Between Rick and Shane everyone was forced to know how to shoot. I put the gun on the table and Lori was quick at work collecting things. Carl came downstairs with his backpack filled with his stuff. Shane came downstairs with a suitcase filled with things too, he tossed me a second one and I started to fill it with food and kitchen items. I rushed to fill the suitcase. When I did we all got moving. We tossed it in the Jeep. I got in the front seat with Shane while Lori and Carl got in the back.

"What's going on?" Carl looked at us and I turned around in my seat. I plastered on a fake smile and looked at Carl.

"Well, we are going on the best road trip you'll ever have. We are going to explore. Find some-" I started talking when the radio blasted through the car. Lori covered Carl's ears and I plopped back into my seat listening.

"We are in a national state of emergency. Please go to your nearest refugee center, located in your states capital." The message repeated and repeated. Shane angrily slammed the button off. I gasped and Carl made a noise of fear. Lori calmed him down.

"Shane Walsh! Do not be a-" I went from yelling to lowering my voice upon hearing Carl's whimpers. "Do not be like this right now. We need to stay strong for that little boy."

"What about Rick?" Lori spoke up and Shane swallowed. He adjusted his rear view mirror and looked at Lori through it. "If he's dead just tell me."

"He is." Shane barely got out the words and Carl started crying harder. I reached a hand back and Lori took it. We drove towards Atlanta when we came to a stop int the road. We sat in the car for what felt like her before I noticed all the cars were parked and I pulled out my MP4, I handed it and the headphones to Carl.