Chapter Five- Twenty Years

The next day everyone went back to themselves. Like nothing major happened. Shane went to the pond to get water. Carol insisted that I get Rick's clothes to her so she could wash them. Of course, my little soft spot for her smile made me do it. The kids were running around playing like always, while one of their mothers yelled for them to stay where everyone could see them. I was helping strip Glenn's new car for parts, much to both his and I demise. Such a beautiful car going to waste.

"Go on strip it clean." Glenn rolled his eyes watching me pull off the tire smoothly.

"Generators need every drop of fuel they can get. Got no power without it. Sorry, Glenn." Dale patted Glenn on the back and I chuckled at the sight. I sighed as we continued to strip every single part of the car down. I looked as Rick walked over to Lori talking about something. Shane's Jeep pulled up quicker and more agitated than usual.

"Waters here y'all! Just a reminder to boil before use." Shane called out and looked at me, I shook my head. I continues doing as I was. When screaming from part of the woods caught my attention I dropped the wheel in my hand and grabbed the screwdriver on the ground next to me. I ran towards the noise. I ran past everyone and jumped over the noise line and kept running. When I got there I saw a deer being eaten by a walker. I saw two arrows stick out of the ass, it was clear that Daryl had been tracking it. It must have heard us behind it, because it stood up and turned around to look directly at Rick. Rick, of course, hit it with the stick he was holding. Then Shane, Glenn, and the rest of the group hit it. I stood back while they waisted their breath attacking it. Finally, Dale chopped it's head of it's neck. I looked at the head and chuckled a bit.

"That's the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain." Dale pointed out the obvious. He looked at Shane and I for confirmation and I nodded.

"Their running out of food in the city, that's what." Jim ran a hand down his face and I sighed. We heard leaves crunching behind the bushes. Shane held his shotgun up ready to fire. At this rate, we'll die if there are more than two walkers at one time. I thought to myself. Daryl rounded the bush and Shane and everyone else lowered their guard.

"Son of a bitch. That's my deer!" Daryl yelled as he looked at the bitten deer. "Look at it. All gnawed on by this-" Daryl kicked the walker between every word. "Filthy, disease-bearing, motherless, poxy bastard!"

"Calm down son. That's not helping." Dale tried to calm down Daryl's apparent rage. Daryl stepped over the walker and into Dale's face.

"What do you know about it old man? Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to 'On Golden Pond'?" Daryl was pissed off and I pulled him back a bit. He looked at me and huffed. "I've been tracking this deer for miles. Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison. What do you think? We can cut around this chewed up part right here?"

"I wouldn't risk it." I looked at Daryl. He looked up at me and sighed.

"That's a damn shame. I got some squirrel. A dozen or so, that'll have to do." Daryl looked around and suddenly the walker head from earlier started moving again. Daryl pointed the bow at its head and fired an arrow. "C'mon people what the hell? It's gotta be the brain. Don't y'all know nothin'?"

"That's Daryl." I walked past Rick as I spoke. He watched me walked back to camp. It would've be long before Daryl started looking around for Merle. Shane and the rest of the group followed me up, I tried to stay as close as I could on Daryl's heels but, it didn't work.

"Merle! Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel. Let's stew em' up." Daryl started calling as he was holding the squirrels around his shoulder. I looked at Shane who was already about to talk to Daryl.