Chapter Eleven- Runaway

Later in the day Shane left with Carol and Andrea to go back to the highway. I stuck around watching over things. Rick was preoccupied with Carl to be leading the group. So I did what I always did, lead the group. Dale kept watch, Glenn was off helping Hershel with medications, Daryl was our looking for Sophia, and Lori and Rick were with Carl. I was the only person without something to do. I decided to look for things, laundry, dishes, helping them with things inside the house. Just with, my luck there wasn't much anything for me to do. I walked around checking on everyone, I'd done it at least four times before Dale stopped me.

"Dale! Are you doing alright up there? Anything you need? Water? I can go get it!" I called up and he shook his head.

"Y/n, are you alright? You've asked me that three times in the last hour." Dale looked around and shook his head. He set the gun down and climbed down the ladder to me.

"I'm fine. I just don't have a lot to do, so I just-" I stopped mid-sentence, my attention being brought to the approaching car. I smiled softly.

"Go see him." Dale nodded and I shook my head.

"No, he has to come to me. It's in the game." I chuckled lightly. Dale rolled his eyes and patted my shoulder. I found myself laughing even more. "Dale, I really do love him."

"Love is a dangerous thing." Dale's head followed my eyes, landing on Shane as he made his way over to us.

"I guess he'll be the most dangerous thing I ever face." I swallowed as Shane's entire face came close enough to make out the details. I walked forward and into his arms.

"Hey, darling." Shane chuckled as he wrapped his arms around me. I scrunched my nose and looked up at him.

"That's a new one." I chuckled. Stepping out of his arms we walked towards the house.

"How's Carl?" Shane's stride was frustrating to hold. He naturally walked faster than me, causing me to have to jog to keep up.

"Good, he's in and out fo sleep. Rick and Lori are with him now." I fell behind a bit. Shane noticed and slowed his pace.

"Am I walking to fast? You're out of breath and we've barely walked ten feet." Shane looked at me and I nodded.

"Remember, 5'0 versus 5'11." I pointed the difference between us our and he chuckled.

"More like 5'1 and 6'0." He took my hand in his and we walked to the house, at a slower pace. I shook my head with a smile.

"You are more than wrong." I rolled my eyes and saw Rick and Lori leaving the house. Rick and I made eye contact following with Shane dropping my hand. I broke gaze with Rick and looked up at Shane. We kept walking and they didn't stop either. Rick and I were curious to Lori and Shane who wouldn't stop watching each other. "How's Carl?"

"He's good." Rick replied, slowly breaking his look at the two. Focusing on me. "He should be up and moving tomorrow."

"That's amazing. How are you guys doing?" I smiled and Rick sighed.

"He's going to live. That's all I care about. I've got to check on everyone, organize tomorrow's search for Sophia. See who's going where." Rick smiled and nodded at Lori to follow him. Without words she did.

"Have fun." I plastered on a smile as they walked away. I rolled my eyes and took Shane's hand. When I took a step he pulled back.

"I- I- I don't get it." Shane whispered and I looked at him confused. "He's my best friend. She's your best friend. We- we slept together and you- you're just okay with it?"

"No, I'm not. Guess what? That was then. Now you n' I are together-ish. I think about another woman even looking twice at you and I- I just-" I took a deep breath and shook my head. "-I think either Lori has feelings for you or you have feelings for her. I understand either way. I just need you to be honest about it. I'm only in this if you are. I'm not ready to be Lori's second again."