The One With All the Pretending

-The Mentor's Quarters-
Zadie's POV:

"Del, this is literally the fourth outfit I've tried on." I said, pulling up the pair of jeans she had given me.

"Okay, well, if you're gonna play the part of a mom, you have to look it."

I corrected, "Eh, wrong. I am playing the part of Alex's legal guardian."

Delta's face fell and she rolled her eyes, "Same thing. I think the pants are fine, but the shirt needs to be more plain."

"Ugh. What else do you want me to do? Carry a 'Live, Laugh, Love' sign around all day?"

She pointed to me, "Hey! Don't come for my mom like that."

I laughed, changing my shirt, "So, have you heard back from LSU?"

"Oh my gosh." I turned to see Delta gaping at her phone. "Do you remember Rickey Marshall and Jodi Vance from middle school?"

"Jodi who got me cut from the softball team? And Rickey who put a live snake in my locker?"

"Yeah, those horrible people. Well, Jodi posted this this morning -they're engaged."

I quickly went over to her looking on Instagram with her, "What? Aren't they our age?"

"Yep." Delta put her phone face down beside her on the bed. "Didn't everyone call Jodi skinny jeans because-"

"Calling Jodi Vance." Delta's Siri said.

She quickly flipped over her phone to see that it was already dialing Jodi. "No, oh, no. No, no."

"Hang up."

"I'm trying!"

"Delta?" Jodi answered, her valley-girl accent thick. Ugh. Jodi was the worst of the worst. She always wanted to be best friends with Delta just because she hated me. And when I say hated, I mean this girl detested me. We played softball together and she got me kicked off the team because she claimed to our couch that I hit her with my bat. I hadn't...until she said that.

Delta gave me a look and I motioned for her to hang up, but being the sweet Delta she was, answered back, "Jodi! Hey..."

"Why are ya calling? Did you and Zadie break up and you're looking for a new bestie for the rest-y?"

Bestie for the rest-y? Who the heck actually talks like that? "Oh, uh, no. Zadie and I are still friends."

"Oh, so why'd ya call then? Did ya see where I got engaged and wanted to hear some tips? Don't worry, girl. I'll give you my secret on how to get a man." Jodi snickered through the phone.

Delta scrunched her face, "Actually, I have someone."

"Oh, really. Is he cute? Or is it a she? You know, in all honesty, I could never tell with you and Zadie, or Leo. A thruple?" She laughed.

Delta shrugged, irritated with the conversation, "He is very cute. And Leo, Zadie, and I were never a...thruple."

'Thruple?' I mouthed causing Delta to roll her eyes.

"Well, I'd love to meet him. How about you and your man meet Rickey and me at that new Italian restaurant Tagliatelle right out of Mission Creek? What d'ya say?"

"Oh, I don't know. We're both super busy, and we wouldn't wanna keep you from your wedding planning."

"I see what's happening. Is it a 'it's his personality that counts' type deal? You can tell me if so. I know you've always struggled finding a good boyfriend."