chapter 32

~Shailene~

I look at the three people sitting in front of me. Herm's cuddled up next to Theo. He's the best dad ever. I think to myself. Ruth's staring at her hands which are folded in her lap.

"Do you need any help with the funeral?" Theo asks her.

"No. I'll manage. Besides Miles will also help." She replies her voice barely audible.

"Speaking of Miles where is he? Did you find him?" I acknowledge Theo by raising my eyebrows at him.

He thinks twice before answering. "Are you sure that you called him and not someone else?" He asks.

"Yeah! I'm 100% sure, he himself said that-" I stop because Miles steps out of the elevator at that very moment.

"Miles!" Ruth screams getting up from her seat and into his arms. I look away to give them privacy. When my eyes land on Theo, I'm surprised to see anger flash on his face. His staring at the ground so hard that it looks like as if he's willing it to break.

"The funeral will be at 4.00 today. Come to the church." He says and then adds "Please." Looking at Theo.

"You guys should go home." Ruth says who seems to have gotten control over herself now.

We nod and get up. When Theo passes by her, she gives him a quick hug and peck on the cheek. This makes my anger flare up inside me. Why does she just have to keep doing such things?!

"Who do you want to ride with?" I ask Hermione as I unlock my car.

"I was thinking that you could ride with dad and I'll drive yours." She suggests.

"I want to drive myself and Theo can too. Choose." I say getting in.  The door opens and Herm slides in next to me. We wait for Theo to get in his car and drive. When we leave the hospital parking lot, Hermione asks me "Why are you so mad at dad? What did he do?"

"It's nothing." I reply calmly looking ahead.

"I may not know what it is but I do know one thing for sure and that it is not nothing." She says not looking at me.

When I don't reply, she tries again. "Please mom. I know that I shouldn't say this but you and dad love each other. Your love is different from that of everyone's I've seen. That protective look in dad's eyes and the way he holds you, means more than you think." Her voice is low and stiff.

I try to smile and reply "You don't have to worry about it. Okay? I'm not mad at him just someone else who's making him look bad." Just as these words leave my mouth I know that it's a lie. I am mad at Ruth but even more mad at Theo.

After this none of us talks for the rest of the ride home.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! It's 2015!

Hope you guys stay happy and  healthy and that this year brings you lots of joy :)

Read, Vote & Comment!

-Fangirl