Chapter 12

I was surrounded by darkness and it felt like I was drowning in it. Where am I? I thought to myself. I looked everywhere to see if I can find a light but I failed. Then, suddenly I felt someone slowly touching my stomach. I looked down and saw a pale hands. I was about to scream but it grabbed me back.

And then like a time warp, I was in a different place. I was in a bedroom but I didn't know whose it was until the door opened and I saw my 8-year-old self entered the room. She, or I, went directly to the dressing table and opened the drawer. She was looking for something and then she pulled a necklace. I unconsciously touch my neck and realized that I'm not wearing it.

"Darling, what are you doing here?" an old woman's voice said. I slowly looked to the door and gasped, as my eyes blur because of the tears.

"Nana!" my younger self shrieked.

Grandma smiled and walked towards her. "You're not supposed to touch that." she said softly.

"I just want to see."

Grandma chuckled and kneeled down. She gracefully took the necklace from her and stared at it. The blue gem shined when it hit the sunlight. "What do you think of this?" she asked, referring to the necklace.

My younger self smiled and answered. "It's beautiful."

Grandma smiled and touched her cheek. "Just like my granddaughter. Soon enough, this necklace will be yours and it will protect you. But for now, go to the garden. Trevor is waiting for you."

She nodded and ran outside. Grandma stood up and chuckcled. Then she looked back and returned the necklace to the drawer.

"Nana." I whispered. Grandma looked up as if she heard me.

But, everything changes again. I was now standing in a place that looks like an abandoned village. It was dark when I arrived. I looked behind my back and saw old trees hung low over the crooked church, creaking in the winds. The doors broke open and I went inside. I heard the howling echoes around the empty church. The moonlight shone through the cracked stained-glass windows, casting an gloomy glow onto the dusty hall.

I've been here before.

I looked around but it was empty and then the moonlight suddenly shined red. Something pushed me and I fell down but not in the floor. I fell inside of a coffin and it locked me inside. I screamed for help even though I knew it was worthless. Then, I heard someone breathing in my ear. I slowly turned my head to look but a pair of hands grabbed my head.

"Let me in! Let me in! Let me in!" it screamed as I squirmed to it's hold.

I sat up from my bed, breathing so hard. I was covered in sweat even though it's cold in here. I buried my face in my hands as I tried to relax. It's starting again. The nightmares are coming back.

Someone knocked on my door. I looked at the clock and it's already 10 O'Clock in the morning. I get up and walked to the door. When I opened it, I saw Elodie standing outside.

"Good morning, Your Highness." she greeted with a smile.

"Morning." I replied.

"The King and Queen requested your presence in the throne room." she said.

I nodded and Elodie touched my cheek. "Are you all right?" she asked, concerned.

"Yeah, why?"

"Nothing. It's just.. You don't look like yourself." she said.

I smiled at her. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I'll just freshen up."