Chapter 16

This was a different one.

I wasn't in the abandoned church or in my grandmother's bedroom. It was dark here. So dark that I can't even see a silhouette or a shadow.

"Hello?" I called through the dark but the echoes just came back. I was about to step forward when a girl's voice called me behind my back.

It sounded so familiar. I looked back and saw a girl around my age. She was dressed in a Victorian style gown and I gasped when I saw her face. "So, this is why she looks familiar." I thought to myself.

She tilted her head and said, "Cat got your tongue?". A hint of amusement was laced in her voice.

"Y-You.. Y-You a-are.." I stuttered.

She smiled as she took a step closer to me. "You are me?"

I blinked so many times, wishing it was hallucination. It's like looking in a mirror only it's not. She looked like me but there's something dark about her.

It seems like she noticed that I'm staring at her. "What? Still can't believe that you're looking at yourself? Allow me to wake you up from your confusion state."

Before I could asked her what she means, her hand flew in my face and I felt a sting of pain. She slapped me. "What the hell is that for?!" I shouted.

"To get your attention, silly." she said.

I stepped back from her. "What are you?" I asked.

"I'm a friend, Miranda. Your only one true friend." she said, softly.

"Friend? You just freaking slapped me!"

"I had to do it so that you'll listen to me. And don't worry, I felt it too" she said as her cheeks reddened just like mine.

"Everything that happens to you will happen to me." she continued.

I looked at her from head to toe. It's amazing but at the same time creepy. We are connected to each other. Is she my subconscious? What is she? There's so many questions running in my head.

My other self walked towards me and touched a strand of my hair. "Confusing, isn't? How I wish I could tell you the truth but I cannot. This is something you have to do by yourself." she said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, still confused on what's happening.

"You'll see, Miranda. It is coming soon." she whispered.

She let go of my hair and took a step back. The surroundings were starting to fade and so was she. "What's happening?" I asked as I was looking around.

"Don't trust anyone but yourself, Miranda. And, remember, let it in." she said.

"Let what in?" I asked again. Before she disappeared completely, she gave me a small smile.

"Wait!" I called for her. I started to run to catch her but something pulled me back.

I gasped as I opened my eyes. Wait, why is it cold in here? I closed my eyes again because I felt my head hurts. When I open them again, I noticed that I was surrounded by many trees.

"What the hell?" I whispered to myself. I looked around and I saw a familiar pond. This is the place where Parker took me. I looked at the ground and saw that I was in my nightgown but I was bare foot.

Was I sleepwalking? I haven't done that in a while. The cold wind blew and I shivered. I started to walked back and luckily enough, I still knew the path. When the palace was in my view, I was relieved. There's no guards in here so I quickly went inside and walked to my room.

I saw Drexel standing in front of my room and I silently cursed. Drexel looked at me and bowed. "Your Highness, where have you been?" he asked.

"I-I just went in the.. kitchen. I got thirsty and there's no water inside so.. you know." I told him. Drexel looked convinced and I bid my goodnight.

When I was inside, I went to the bathroom to rinse my feet and dry it off. I climbed to my bed and lay down. I was so sleepy but those three words rang repeatedly in my head.

"Let it in."

••
The training session was exhausting! I just hope that my brother cooked something especially that he didn't show up to any part of the training. I handled all the things because Trevor wasn't there too but I knew his reasons. Parker, on the other hand, just disappeared entirely.

As I walked to our pathway, I saw that all of the lights on our house was lit. I stepped up and opened the door. "Parker, I'm here." I said as soon as I was inside. I took off my jacket and my shoes.

"Parker!" I called again.

"In here!" he answered. I followed his voice and saw that he's sitting in the kitchen and was arranging something. There's a lot of different flowers laid in a table.

"What the fuck is going on?" I asked him but he didn't answer. Typical Parker, whenever he's focused on something there's no way that you can talk to him. I went to the counter and saw that there was a food. At least, this little shit cooked.

I crossed my arms and asked, "Parker, what the hell are you doing?"

"A bouquet." he answered.

I pinched my nose bridge in frustration. "What is it for?" I asked again.

"It's for Mira." My eyes widened and I sat across to him.

"Did I heard it right? It's for Mira?" Parker nodded and continued to making the bouquet. I scanned the flowers and I saw some red and pink roses, orchids, pink camellia and some yellow primrose. These flowers symbolized one thing. Love.

"Please, don't tell me you're going to confess to her." I said.

Parker stopped moving and he looked at me. "Why? Is there something wrong with that? Is it because she was a princess and I'm just a knight?"

"No, Parker. That's not my point. My point is you've just known her for months and vice versa." I explained.

"Look, Steven. There's just something about her that makes me.. happy. I feel connected to her and I want to risk everything I have. I don't care if she's a royalty. I don't care if Trevor kills me." he said.

"That exactly what concerns me, Par." I muttered.

I heard Parker sighed. "They're just friends." he said.

"To Mira, yes." I answered back.

"Brother, I'm worried about you. I don't want you to give everything to Mira. I know that she's a good person, and she's my friend, but always remember yourself first. I just don't want you to get hurt." I said to him.

"Just because you two get along these past few days, doesn't mean that there's a connection to both of you. I know it may sound harsh but don't get your hopes high. This is not a typical fairytale." I continued.

Parker smiled at me a little. "Don't worry. I know my limits. Just support me in here, okay?"

I sighed and closed my eyes. Of course, Parker won't listen to me. Why did I even bother to make a long speech? I know that Mira is a beautiful person both inside and outside. I also noticed the changes in my brother and it was because of her but I'm worried for Parker. He may be a grown up now but he's still young and he still doesn't know that love is a dangerous thing.

I opened my eyes and looked at him. "Fine." I answered to him. He smiled at me and continued working. I stood up and decided to went upstairs.

"Clean the table!" I called out to him.

"Yeah!" he answered back. This kid is exhausting as hell.