Rescued Part 20

All the kids were lined up, laying on the floor under the back desks. Suddenly there was a large thud and Addy looked around to see her teacher slumped on the floor, "Miss Abigail!" Josh shouted and went over to his teacher, Addy army crawled out from her hiding spot, "Josh what are you doing, get down," she told him grabbing his arm. At Addy's command he found the nearest water bottle and handed it to her, she poured the bottle over the teacher's face and put the handkerchief over her mouth. Together the kids sat their teacher up, slowly she began to regain consciousness and they heard banging on the door. "FIRE DEPARTMENT, CALL OUT". Addy stood up and called at the top of her voice, "IN HERE, HELP".

Cruz busted in the door to see 20 kids in the small classroom, "CRUZ", Addy shouted and beckoned him over. Joe shouted to the rest of squad and truck and went to join Addy, he took off his mask and used it to cover Miss Abigail's face, "Let's get you and your friends out of here, kiddo," Addy shook her head, "Get the others out first I'm fine". Capp and Tony came to take the teacher away and Cruz helped the kids out one by one, a firefighter carried two kids away at a time until there were two left, Kelly grabbed Addy and Fern. "Come on let's get out of here," he turned away for one second to see one girl standing next to him, "Where did Addison go?" he asked Fern. She looked around coughing, "I don't know, where's Kaylee?" "Severide," Matt shouted, Kelly passed Fern to Casey and went to look for his daughter.

"Kaylee?" Addy crawled to the other side of the room to see her friend passed out on the floor. She tried to drag her friend to her dad but her small arms wouldn't take the weight. Kaylee was much taller than Addy, who was small for her age. "ADDY," Kelly called looking around the room. With no answer he began to worry. "DADDY," he heard and followed the shouts, he found his daughter and wrapped her up in his arms. "You have to help her," she said sadly. Capp walked back into the room, "Lieutenant we have to go". Kelly lifted Kaylee up and Capp carried the girl's limp body out. Addy began to uncontrollably cough and Kelly put his mask over her face, "Baby you ok?" he asked and she pushed the mask away, nodding. He lifted her up and made their way towards the door. 

The hallway was covered in flames. He set her down, "Ok princess it's gonna be really hot in here but you have to trust me and do exactly what I say," the little girl nodded and Kelly zipped her inside his jacket. "Keep your head to my body", he told her.

Kelly came running out of the building just before the doorway collapsed and kneeled down. He undid his coat and took Addy straight over to the medics, they put an oxygen mask on her and began to treat her minor burns. Kelly sat with the girl on his lap and stroked her hair away from her smoke smudged face. She leaned into him and closed her eyes.