Smoke Part 19

"Fern, Kaylee wait up!" Addy ran towards her two new friends and showed them her new bracelet, together they began to walk towards their school, "Hey kiddo, no hug?" Stella shouted at them with her hand shielding her head from the sun and. Addy ran back to Stella and gave her a big hug, "bye Mommy," she said and Stella watched as Addy raced back to catch up with her friends, she walked into the classroom without turning back. Stella smiled and walked jogged back to her car, keys in her hand.

Addy, Fern and Kaylee were sitting in a row at the back of their classroom. "Kaylee, what did you get for question 3?" Addy asked quietly, "Umm, 5?" Kaylee replied and Addy jotted down the answer. "Can anyone else smell smoke?" Fern whispered to her friends, "Fern it's called silent work for a reason, " the teacher called from her desk. "Sorry Miss," Fern answered sweetly and looked at Kaylee and Addy cheekily, "It's probably just a BBQ," Kaylee replied in a small voice, Addy nodded in agreement. "GIRLS, do you want to be separated?" the teacher asked, they all shook their heads in unison and got on with their maths.

Some kids near the front of the room began to cough, a boy put his hand up, "Miss, can I go get some water please?" the teacher nodded and pointed towards the door. "Ooooo, Addy look who it is," Fern said, nudging her friend, Addy elbowed her back, "For the last time, I don't like Josh," she barely finished her sentence before Josh came flying backwards and exposed the flames consuming the corridor. "Told you I smelt smoke".

The teacher ran to shut the door, "Children everyone go to the back of the classroom, the worried class followed their teachers orders as she began to call 911 on her phone. Addy lay down on the floor and everyone looked at her funny, she pulled her friends down, "Smoke rises dummies, everyone get down". 

The teacher began to open all the windows and Addy walked towards the door, "Addison what are you doing?" her teacher asked, Addy grabbed the pile of jackets and began to push them to the bottom the the door, "We have to block off the smoke otherwise we're gonna die of smoke inhalation," she rolled her eyes at her clueless teacher and put her t-shirt to her mouth, "Everyone breathe through your t-shirts it will help", she told her class and looked out the windows. 

Her eyes began to burn and she realized they were 3 stories up, 'Crap' she thought to herself. Grabbing a sheet of fabric and a black sharpie she wrote 'HELP' and hung the message on the window where she could see fire trucks arriving at the scene. She looked around, 'Squad 3' she saw her father's truck and felt relieved, "Okay my Daddy and his friends are gonna help us", she told everyone who looked at her with watering eyes or while coughing.

*Author note- This storyline was highly requested so I hope you enjoy it. To catch people up Addy is 5, nearly 6 and at school now in Kindergarten in America which is year 1 in the UK. I hope this makes sense and even if the ages are a bit off, just go with it :) xx As always suggestions are welcome, enjoy.